Sleeve Surgey

renaenhenry
on 7/3/14 7:39 am

So my name is Renae and I am hopefully getting the sleeve surgery ASAP, I'm getting it through A.I duPont hospital aka nemours and im kinda scared. Like I have done a lot of the necessary appointments already and I  have been going to the weight management clinic for years, ever since I was little. I was wondering if anyone else had gotten the sleeve operation done and how they have been doing. Also some people aka my friends and some family dont't approve, they say im too young. Im 18 and im 315lb. Are they right? I really want to get this done because I know my self and I'm just so ready for a change but I can't help but think they are right, am I really too young?

Gwen M.
on 7/3/14 8:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hello and welcome.  You might consider posting over on the forum specifically for the sleeve -- http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/ -- lots of great information there!  

I had my sleeve about 3.5 months ago and loving life.  Your family and friends probably don't know better than your medical team and yourself, so I wouldn't give too much credence to their naysaying.  Your body, your choice - do what you need to do for your health.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

renaenhenry
on 7/3/14 10:31 am

Thank you and that's what I think too but sometimes those negatives comments just eat at my mind and it makes me over think things. And for the sleeve how was the recovery? and Yay im proud of you, I know that doesn't mean much coming from a stranger but I read your signature and I'm over joyed for you!!

Gwen M.
on 7/3/14 11:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My recovery has been great.  I had some issues a few weeks ago that were a bit weird, but my surgeon put me on an anti-spasmodic for a few days and the problem cleared right up and I've had no problems since.  I was able to start exercising from the beginning - started with walking and now I do some running, walking, yoga, pilates, and tai chi.  And life is just unbelievably wonderful :D

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

renaenhenry
on 7/4/14 7:29 am

I'm really happy to hear that!!! Im so excited for mine i jst have to get approved i think and go to some more counsiling but i go july 10th for more information. My doctor said that with the sleeve acid reflux occurs and can sometimes become sever.  I was wondering if you ever had that problem? Also what was the pre-op like?

Gwen M.
on 7/4/14 10:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I did take Prilosec for the first many weeks after surgery, but I didn't have problems when I went off it.  E

Every surgeon has a different pre-op diet.  Mine was 10 days of shakes - 5 a day.  It got a bit boring as I'm sure you can imagine!  I've journaled my entire experience since day 1 and the link to my journal is in my signature.  You're welcome to read it.  

renaenhenry
on 7/4/14 11:07 am

Yeah im on it now,ive had it acid reflux for years. And i will thank you 

JuniperLane
on 7/8/14 2:46 pm

Renae,

I had the sleeve done June 2nd.  The only advice I can give you is make certain you are ready for the change.  I have had to address my eating issue head on as I have been overweight since right at puberty.  My highest weight was I believe 333.  Pre-op diet weight was 305, the day of the surgery I was 291.  Right now I am 264.  without subscribing to a particular diagnosis, I believe I have an eating disorder that involves binging and overeating- severe swings between restrictive dieting at one end and binging on the other end.  The hardest thing about the surgery was the realization that everything in my life had to change...  not just my most intimate relationship (with food).   

Now, I am a counseling student graduating with my masters in December.  I have a love of philosophy and practical applications of counseling, therapy and psychology...  this is ALOT for me to wrap my thoughts around. 

Ask yourself:  are you ready to work harder than you have ever worked before and are you ready to face the demons that haunt you into eating?  This is very real and very serious...  and the problem manifests itself in many different ways.  I do suggest seeing a therapist, but do not leave your "healing" in their hands.  Be proactive.  I suggest you find a copy of A Substance Called Food: how to understand, control and recover from Addictive Eating as a place to start to read about eating disorders.

This is, of course, assuming that your weight is a result of overeating.  If not, I apologize.

All over this forum is the following:  WEIGHTLOSS SURGERY IS A TOOL...  A POWERFUL ONE, BUT A TOOL NONETHELESS.   Always remember this.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the surgery.

Jeni

Surgery Date: 6/2/2014     Highest: 333     Pre-Op Diet:  305    Surgery Day:    291     Current:  255     

renaenhenry
on 7/8/14 11:59 pm

We are very similar in weight and over eating and in what we want to do in thw future, well schooling wise. I DO over eat and its becauae i have a problem saying no. I dont say no to food or friends im jst a very giving person. Plus my whole family is big and they never taught me to eat right. My mom got the lap band and the gastic was my grandmother and my uncle and aunt the same as well. I also am an emotional eater and i eat casuse im bored. I am addicted to food. I am going to counseling and talking to her about other things. Like my parents getting divorced abd me not knowing how to relax. I tend to worry about other peoples problems that i can't help at all. I never had a chance to be a kid, i never allowed mysel to

Im sorry there is no question in here just a rant. But thank you for the response. Oh wait i do have a question how did you fight the food battle?

JuniperLane
on 7/9/14 5:03 pm

How "do" I fight the food battle...You know, it is a daily, sometimes hourly, battle.  Everyone is different but before the surgery I started to process mentally everything that had taken place in my life as a result of my weight.  The many times I said I would go on this or that diet...  the wanting to be skinny for my mom and the regret that came with her not seeing me thin before she died, the regret of my sister not seeing me thin before she too passed away, the not dating people I felt like I deserved because I was too fat, generally settling for less in everything because of my size, including being abused mentally (and in my earlier years, physically).  I have been on one diet after another since I was 8 and it was just time to do this.  I wish I had done it at your age but I just don't know if I would have had the mental maturity and the hard knocks to take this as seriously as it needs to be taken. 

I am very scared about wasting this opportunity.  From my research it appears that it is very easy to regain.  I have friends who had the bypass (I had the sleeve) and have regained their weight.  You are young enough you will not have to worry about the resilience of your skin, but at 34 I have to worry about it.  Right now I am having a little trouble because the acid is overwhelming and preventing me from being able to really eat anything. This started last week (1 month post op) and I am nauseous most of the time.  I am also really tired.  Most days I get in nearly all of the 90g of protein that my dr. recommended and I do no have any cravings.  I know that if I do, the cravings are mental. 

In all, just be resolved to fight AND WIN this battle NOW instead of battling it for the rest of your life, doing tons of damage to your body, your mind, your heart and your soul.  BE HONEST with yourself and your faults...  and learn to accept the praise and compliments, (most bingers are not able to accept compliments).  Also, be the one to look at yourself and accept/love you.  This may sound cheesy but tonight, when I was working out...  I saw my face in the mirror and had to do a double take because I did not look half bad.  

I did buy a pilates machine because I had one several years ago and was able to use it as a low impact workout.  I gave it to my yoga instructor (btw, I am a yoga teacher..  did my certification at 28 years old and 333 pounds...  talk about discrimination).    If you have an extra $500.00 the Aeropilates is a good investment.  If not..  make certain to walk, walk, walk after the surgery.  Also, try to eat between 600 to 800 calories after surgery (mostly protein) because your body will drop the weight quicker if you have the calories.    I bought Unjury protein powder and opened one of them.  It isn't that I did not like it...  it's more that I prefer to eat real protein or drink the protein shakes from HEB.  The Unjury is considered the best protein powder on the market (I bought the chicken soup and unflavored one).  If you want me to send it to you, send me a private message with your address and I will be more than happy to send them to you.  I can also send you a copy of that book I recommend, as long as I know you will read it:)

There is much more I could say, but I do not want to make this a long diatribe.  The last thing I want to suggest tonight is to reach out in your community for support groups of WLS people..  even if it is in this forum.  You need to have a resource to ask questions to, to vent to, to cry with or applaud with.  Find people that support you and that you, in turn, can support.  Oh, and keep in mind, a counselor is only as good as the information they receive.  Try to be as honest and open in the sessions as possible. 

Jeni

Surgery Date: 6/2/2014     Highest: 333     Pre-Op Diet:  305    Surgery Day:    291     Current:  255     

Most Active