Complications 7 years out from VSG

Giggly423
on 7/6/14 8:49 am

Hey all. I haven't been to this site in forever. But here I am back. I had the VSG back in August of 2007. I did really well and lost 150+ pounds. Now 7 years later I have slowly regained some weight. I have also been having a lot of burning and pain on the left side of my stomach. I finally decided to see a bariatric surgeon here in North Carolina where I am currently living. He did an upper GI and I have a sizable hiatal hernia and stretched out sleeve. He said he can fix hernia and re-sleeve me. Now I am waiting for the insurance to approve me. Normally I would have to go through 6 months supervised diet and all the pre-op testing, but because the hernia is a complication my insurance said surgeon just had to document it and submit for approval. 

Here's hoping for a speedy approval. Has anyone else has this experience? I am currently insured by United Health care. 

greenville2014
on 7/6/14 9:23 am

Hi. 

I'm new to the site. But, I wanted to wish you luck. 

The long term complications have been my biggest worry. I'm hoping to have the YNU. So, I know it would be different. But, your weight loss has been amazing. Congrats. 

Good luck with your surgery. 

MsBatt
on 7/6/14 3:13 pm

What, pray tell, is an YNU? Never heard of it before.

greenville2014
on 7/6/14 3:38 pm

I meant the RNY. My bifocals need bifocals tonight. Lol

MsBatt
on 7/8/14 11:52 am

Okay! I thought something new had snuck up on me. (*grin*)

D66
on 7/6/14 10:07 am

I too have wondered about the long term of WLS. I certainly congratulate you on your weight loss and wishing you all the best with upcoming repairs. I've not had WLS but working my way to it one day at a time. Be sure to keep us posted

MsBatt
on 7/6/14 3:12 pm

There are four basic forms of WLS. The LapBand is the form with the poorest long-term results, the Duodenal Switch the one with the best long-term results. The Sleeve and the RNY/gastric bypass are in the middle, and have comparable results.

Research them ALL before you choose.

Most Active