Suggestions with coping with the depession/sadness of breaking up with food. 2 weeks post...

Heatherhere
on 7/11/14 6:11 am

So Im normally not a depressed person but food is bringing me to tears.  When my family eats, when I smell food, when I see food on TV when I think of food I have these little waves of depression. 

Food was such a BIG part of my life.  Im sure food would have killed me in the end so Yes Im glad I chose WLS.

I just wanted to have some advice from you all here.  This site has helped me so much though this journey And I am so very grateful..

Valerie G.
on 7/11/14 6:37 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I always enjoyed a little bit of everything, focusing on protein first before I indulged.  This enabled me to not say goodbye forever to anything, and because I ate all the important things first, I would enjoy only a couple of bites feeling completely satisfied.  This kept me out of trouble.

Now, my disappointment around food as an early post-op was that nothing tasted the same.  I would be all excited for something, but when I ate it, I was underwhelmed by it all and that made ME sad. In 6 mos or so, things went back to normal.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cathy W.
on 7/11/14 7:14 am

When you get a little further post-op, you'll see the results from your surgery and losing weight. 

It is understandable to have some depression.  As you said, food was a big part of your life (mine too so I'm speaking for myself as well!).  It was my "go to" thing.  When I had surgery, it was as though I had a broken relationship and I was grieving the loss.  Does what I described feel like you are grieving for that relationship with food?  I  know it may sound strange to have a relationship with food but I did.  Changing that relationship in the beginning was a loss. 

It got better.  It got a lot better.  As I recuperated from surgery, as you are at two weeks, I physically felt better and I was losing weight pretty quickly. 

I began to see things instead of losing my relationship with food to all the things I was gaining as I lost weight.  I believe that will happen for you too. 

Hang in there.  You'll be giving this same sort of support to someone else someday that is two weeks post-op. 

jenorama
on 7/11/14 7:26 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

It's tough right now for you because you're still recovering from your surgery and you're likely very restricted in what you can have.  As other posters have said, it'll get better as your options increase.  :D  I do miss being able to dig into a burger with all the trimmings, but not enough to regret my surgery.  Hang in there and make sure to celebrate your milestones! 

Jen

Carfigure
on 7/11/14 7:35 am

I know exactly how u feel. I'm 2 weeks n 2 days post op n it's been very hard. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time.  Wish I had better advise. 

Gwen M.
on 7/11/14 8:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you seeing a therapist?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Heatherhere
on 7/11/14 8:27 am

No...Im not that bad.  Its just hard for now.  Ill figure it out.  Its hard though.. Now on a normal before VSG I would be cooking dinner.   I miss grocery shopping and creating fabulous food for my self, my family and friends.  Last Sunday my husband and I had our 23 anniversary and we didn't really do anything.  Before WLS we would have had a party or gone out to a great meal....We were together for the day but I was sad to not celebrate because I cant eat or drink! 

Gwen M.
on 7/11/14 8:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm not sure what "that bad" means in this context.  People don't need to be suicidal to benefit from having a therapist.  I know that mine is a very important part of my WLS-journey team and I wouldn't say that I have anything that makes me feel depressed!  But this journey can bring up a lot of mental/emotional stuff and having a therapist to help me work through it helps significantly.  

Sure, you might be able to figure it out on your own - but just like getting WLS instead of doing that on your own - why not have some help if help exists? :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

-Flo-
on 7/11/14 9:36 am
DS on 04/11/16

I can totally relate to where you are coming from. I'm 6 weeks post op and I'm missing food so bad. It is especially difficult when I want to go out with friends and all they want to do is go out to eat.  I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone.

VSG on 06/12/13

2 weeks was probably the lowest low point for me as well. I was bored with liquids, I was hormone dumping, I was bored with being home, and I was exhausted.

it does get better!

the others here have given you good advice, but I do especially like the advice about the therapist, not because of depression but to help explore your relationship with food. It's good to reestablish those boundaries and set a new relationship rather than "we can't be together" as this will get you through the long term.

just my $.02 - good luck!

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Most Active