Six Days Post-GSleeve-Surgery, Some Thoughts and Questions

J B
on 7/19/14 7:11 am, edited 7/19/14 7:18 am

Hi Everyone:

I've only posted here once before, after I went to my first meeting at my weight loss clinic.  It's funny now to think that that was over 4 months ago.  Now in July, I'm now 6 days post surgery for my gastric sleeve procedure, and oh my, such a rush of emotions and physical changes!  It's a bit overwhelming.  I realize the need to talk and listen here at OH, so here I am.

Here are some interesting observations from my pre-op and operation:

• The "No liquids after 8:00 pm the night before" rule was a lot harder than I expected.
  • The relief of having my first sip of juice about 24 hours after surgery was pretty remarkable.
  • I tended to not click my pain medication button as much as I should have (in retrospect)... I think I was putting up with a fairly sizable amount of pain the first day and really should have just taken the extra click of morphine-derivative to feel better.
  • IF you're given a pain medicine that is morphine-based, you'll get VERY ITCHY.  Tell the nurse and she'll give you a shot of Benadryl, and it will go away pretty quickly. 
  • Day two is, in some ways, more difficult that day one (pain wise).  This is probably due to the anesthesia wearing off.
  • Having too many visitors on day two is just not the best idea :-)  Thoughtful as it might be for them to be there, I found that I was way too groggy to really appreciate their visits.  I actually had to ask a friend to leave because I was just getting really disoriented.
  • Having one close family member help out is a real Godsend.  My brother spent as much time as humanly possible with me during and just after surgery, and it was a huge benefit.
  • Getting used to drinking / stomach capacity / fullness / understanding hunger - all these things are so strange now!  It's hard to know what is what.  I'll get a bit hungry, and then it seems to dissipate, or it gets stronger.  Sometimes I think I'm full, but can't tell if that's a spasm or some gas. Bottom line, it's probably going to take quite a while to understand the messages that my stomach is relaying to my head.  Right now, it's a bit jumbled. 
  • My healing after day three has been better each day.  I'm sometimes amazed by the healing ability of the human body.  My pain has diminished greatly, and I am more likely to have slight discomfort or tiredness than actual pain.
  • I was (and still am, a bit) experiencing a bit of post-surgical depression.  I was expecting this, since I know myself.  I think the depression comes from that realization that you've completely changed your relationship with food.  It's no longer there for a comfort, or a hiding place, or a place to get lost in, etc.  It leaves you feeling a bit naked.  I found someone to talk to very frankly about this and it really did seem to help a lot.
  • If you're curious, go ahead a check your weight a few days after surgery.  I'd found that my weight dropped (since I started my pre-surgery diet and then 3 days after) by 16 pounds.  That really helped me mentally.  It's as if the universe was saying "Exactly as planned."  It puts things into perspective.
  • I'm hungrier than I expected.  The first two days were difficult for me to eat much food, but 6 days after, I definitely get hungry.  I'm not sure how / when / to what extent to expect my hunger to change over the next few months.  Any thoughts from other post-surgery folks on that one?
  • The liquid diet is not easy.  Your teeth miss chewing.  Broth can seem pretty unsatisfying.  Protein powder is by default a bit sweet, so it doesn't mix easily into soup or savory foods.  The days after surgery are pretty much a sweets-fest, and I'm not a big person for sweets.  That's a challenge.
  • My glucose levels have returned to normal and I have stopped taking any oral meds or insulin for my diabetes.
  • Although I can see that this is going to be an intense learning experience, and an adventure, and a lot of work, I'm feeling more and more like a human being. I do believe that I will get through this tricky readjustment, but certainly not without help.
kbb0185
on 7/19/14 8:33 am
RNY on 07/15/14

I  am day four post op RNY.  I could not agree more with everything you wrote.  All very valid points.  I have not been experiencing hunger in the physical sense, but lots of head hunger.   My family has been watching my daughter for the past five days while I have been recovering, and she has been out for every meal, out for ice cream, you name it.  I weirdly feel like I'm mourning not being able to do these things with her.  I know in the future I will be able to, and that it is good to not center enteratining around food, but when you're sitting in the house in pain struggling to drink protein shakes and water, and everyone is out enjoying the summer, it definitely leads to some post op depression.

I too found day two to be the worst.   I was feeling great day one, and asked to go home a day early, which they agreed to because I was walking and keeping liquids down fine.  That was a mistake, the anesthesia wore off and I was adjusting to changes in pain meds.  I needed vicodin every four hours just to get rid of the pain.

I am glad we are both on the loser's bench, and this will be a tough physical and mental journey, but we did it for a reason, and we will be healthier and happier very soon!

Surgery Date: 07/15/2014

TexasTerritory
on 7/19/14 9:02 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Great insight and it does get better.

JuniperLane
on 7/19/14 4:51 pm

In reading your bullet points I found myself shaking my head in agreement...  especially  the getting used to drinking/stomach capacity/fullness and understanding hunger now.  I had pretty bad acid from my VSG surgery which I am told tricks you into thinking you are hungry.  Congrats on the getting off diabetes meds! 

Juniper

Surgery Date: 6/2/2014     Highest: 333     Pre-Op Diet:  305    Surgery Day:    291     Current:  255     

J B
on 7/19/14 11:35 pm

Thanks all for the feedback, everyone - it seems that no matter how you're prepared for surgery, you're going to have your own particular version of the healing process.  This morning (day 7) started with some nausea, but pretty diminished hunger.  An adventure every day!  heh heh heh...

Cheryl H.
on 7/20/14 12:40 am - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

Thank you for posting this.  My surgery is approaching quickly.....July 24th and I am getting anxious/nervous/excited and worried.

My sister is coming Wednesday the 23rd and will stay with me until Sunday the 27th.  I have some unique challenges as I have a paralyzed dachshund that wears diapers.  I have to lift him onto a baby changing table 3 times a day for changes.  He doesn't weigh a ton but he does squirm and wiggle sometimes and weighs about 15 lbs.  Do you think I will be able to care for him without hurting myself?  When my sister leaves I will be only 3 days out of surgery.  I hope that I will be able to get around and care for myself and my pets without issue. 

I've read many posts about the sleeve, my surgery of choice.  People have posted that if you don't have a sweet tooth (I don't really....I'm more savory, salty and crunchy) you develop one.  I've read about the increased reflux and already take prescription acid reducing meds....will those meds help me avoid the reflux?  I'm also a pretty big drinker like water and I love Mio orange tangerine mix in....good stuff!  I don't sip drinks, I DRINK them so I am guessing that's going to be a change for me.

I for one, really appreciate your thoughts and posts.  I know your words will be a comfort to me in the days to come!  I look forward to more!

Cheryl

Cheryl

J B
on 7/20/14 1:23 am

Cheryl - 

I had a few thoughts on the issues you mentioned:

Lifting: I've been careful about this one.  My surgeon said not to life more than 20 lbs at a time post surgery for 4-6 weeks.  I can see why, because it puts an undo strain on the abdomen when you do so.  However, what I did find is that if you do have to pick up something about that weight, you just have to negotiate it the right way - i.e., do it slowly and in stages.  Find what feels right.  I know I can't say definitively what's best in this case, and you should follow your doctor's advice, but I think your body will tell you if you're picking up too much weight.

Sipping/gulping: A few days after surgery, I'm finding that sipping of liquids is not as odd or radical as I was expecting.  I'd been prepared to barely be able to get in a mouthful of water, but it's really not like that.  For me (and again, this is just my experience a few days post-surgery) it's more about your stomach's capacity.  By accident I've gulped something down a bit too fast (mouthfuls too large) and I felt a tightness in my stomach, something like cramps or gas pain. You realize that you've drunk too fast, and change your sips for the next mouthful.  It's not as dramatically different as you'd think - you're just being more cautious about not overloading your stomach with too much at once.

Acid Refux: I was put on a medication about a week before surgery, and I also got an anti-nausea medication post surgery.  Your doctor is going to be very aware of these issues and prescribe appropriately for when you get out.  I'm sure you'll be fine on this one.

J

Tracy D.
on 7/21/14 12:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hey, JB - welcome to the loser's bench!   Good post with lots of useful information, especially for newbies just getting started on this path.  You may want to x-post in the VSG forum.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active