swallowing pills post op

butters
on 7/20/14 9:16 am

was wondering as i am on regular medication how can i swallow this next week after my surgery...

poet_kelly
on 7/20/14 12:18 pm - OH

Talk to your surgeon.  The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says it's fine to swallow pills as soon as you tolerate them after surgery.  I was swallowing pills about 12 hours after my RNY with no trouble.  After all, they are not operating on your throat or esophagus so surgery shouldn't cause trouble swallowing.  Some people prefer to use chewable or liquid meds for a while after surgery or to crush pills (never crush meds without checking with your pharmacist first, though, because some should not be crushed).  But others are fine swallowing pills from day one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

basilmk
on 7/20/14 3:17 pm - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

My surgeon told me it was ok to take my meds the normal way right after surgery. I started the first day I came home and have never had a problem.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active