Pre-op questions

Kaydensmomma10
on 7/22/14 11:00 pm - Columbus, OH

hey guys! I am currently in the beginning process for rny. I am wanting to diet prior to surgery. Did you guys diet? What kind of diet plan were/are you on? Are you loosing weight? Did your surgeon require you to loose weight before surgery???

TheNewT
on 7/22/14 11:14 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

I'm pre-op VSG but I figure I'd throw my 2 cents in. Neither my surgeon nor my insurance company required me to lose weight. Well, if I gain between my last visit with the surgeon and the surgery date he will not perform the VSG. Gaining would mean that I didn't follow the 2 week pre-op diet. This diet is pretty much Atkins. Low carb. Protein and veggies and a no calorie drink. I decided to replace 1 meal with a shake. Since I was never fond of breakfast, I decided to replace that meal. 3 days in and I've lost 4 pounds.

gmantek
on 7/23/14 5:37 am

I wasn't required to lose weight by my doctor until I got to the pre-op diet phase which was 4 weeks for me.  However, I will say that you must maintain at the least or they will question if you are really ready to make the lifestyle changes required to lose and maintain after surgery.  I didn't go on a diet, but I didn't gain a single pound from the time they started my weigh ins (3 months) to the pre-op stage.  If I had it to do over again, I would definitely tried harder to get a few pounds off, it would just get you closer to your end goal and instill good behavior instead of going cold turkey!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/23/14 6:33 am
RNY on 08/21/12

It's great that you want to lose before surgery. Eeery adjustment you can make, and every pound you can lose before surgery, will end up being a bonus. I lost quite a bit before surgery, and it helped a lot.

I had no specific requirements except the two week liquid diet. I just cut back as much as I could.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active