Post-op and can't tolerate a lot of foods?...Here's a great suggestion

MyLady Heidi
on 7/26/14 10:44 pm

Please do not take nutritional advice from a surgeon, that's why they hire nutritionists to work with them because, and your surgeon is the perfect example, they are clueless.  Advising someone not to ea****ermellon or other healthy vitamin packed fruits is insanity.  This is the basis of healthy eating, lean meat and cheese, healthy organic vegetables and fruits, whole grains, food grown naturally and not processed or altered or engineered.

BASIMAH02
on 7/27/14 5:57 am - IL

Thank you!!!!!!! Someone who finally gets it. You can find drawbacks in basically ANY food. Watermelon is one of the healthiest fruits in the world and people just don't get it that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. I even posted a link for people to see all the health benefits that come from eating watermelon. 

ONE OF LIFE'S MYSTERIES IS HOW A TWO-POUND BOX OF CANDY CAN MAKE A PERSON GAIN FIVE POUNDS

MyLady Heidi
on 7/26/14 10:34 pm

It's extremely healthy and good for you, I dump from too much sugar, never one issue with watermellon.  I ate it early out and still do any time I can get it fresh organic locally grown. Enjoy!!!

Kate -True Brit
on 7/27/14 12:30 am, edited 7/27/14 12:31 am - UK

I love water melon and have it quite often.  The amount of sugar doesn't concern me (but I am not bypassed) as I just allow for it in my daily intake. But it can only ever be a nice treat food as I go for protein first, vegetables second and things like high carb/sugar things last.  I don't usually agree with Heidi, but this time I do! I don't go overboard with soft fruits but they are an important part of my diet. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

HarvestMoon1974
on 7/27/14 1:11 am - Keyport, NJ
Revision on 05/01/14

I've never had issues with watermelon, or any fruits. The natural sugar in fruits doesn't cause dumping for me. Added sugars are a no-no for me, but I'm lucky to be able to eat fruit all the time.

I'm a big watermelon eater, and I'm so happy that I've been able to eat tons of it this summer lol. Everyone's body handles things differently, and I'm also 9 years out from my original rny, and almost 3 months from my revision (which was for medical reasons, not due to regain or noncompliance).

" Life is a roller coaster, enjoy the ride"
Carol 378/189/170

Thankful for my little miracles Joshua and Daniel.

jo11
on 7/27/14 10:34 am

I did not get over weight from eating watermelon ...that's a fact. Great tip. Thanks. :)

Most Active