Referral

blueeyes95
on 7/27/14 11:49 pm - Toronto , Canada

Hi,

New to this and was wondering how long does it take to get initial referral? My doctor said he refered me in June and I called him to check on the progress and he said I am looking at months before a call from the Clinic at Humber or information package. Is this correct?

jaxie77
on 7/28/14 4:24 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hi there , 

I am going through Humber also :) 

I think it depends on volume of referrals at any one time but I can tell you my timeline as a rough guide . My doctor sent my referral in sept 13'and I got a confirmation of reciept in Oct 13'. In late Jan 14' I received a letter invitation to my orientation session for end of March 14' . I then had my first surgeon appointment at the end of May , Internist appointment beginning of June and saw the Social worker / RN /and Dietician early July . I have a follow up telephone interview on this coming friday with the Dietician and I will hopefully be cleared at that point to then call my Surgeon's office for his final 'all clear' , and to then set a surgery date ( fingers crossed !!) .....However I am hearing through the grapevine that they are currently booking surgeries right now for Jan next year , so I may still have a ways to wait . But honestly , time flies so fast !! After your Orientation it will all just move nicely . It really gives you time to educate yourself and have all of those little questions answered ...you know the little things that you wonder about ?? These boards are awsome for that ! So much information , real life information which you cannot get in a handout . It really is a super support system and lots of lovely people going through the exact same journey . 

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress :) 

Jax x

blueeyes95
on 7/28/14 4:55 am - Toronto , Canada

Thank you so much, I have been reading everyones post and you all seem very happy and upbeat. You're exactly right I have read everything on here about before and after the surgery, the ups and downs.  It helps to know that others have done this and you can talk to someone about your day or what to expect. Thank you so much again!

Good luck to you too :)

Tea

blueeyes95
on 8/4/14 10:13 am - Toronto , Canada

So I got my first Educational session at Toronto Western on Oct 22.  My doctor had told me Humber but I guess it goes by what facility is available, I am excited, nervous.  I cried when I saw this letter i don't know why.  But I am looking forward to the future! What follows after this? I am assuming a lot of hard work and dedication which I have a lot of :) 

Most Active