high protein shakes without sucralose?

cpower100
on 7/27/14 7:22 am

Hi.

I am new here and on track for a fall date for RNY.  I am having trouble finding high protein foods/drinks that do not contain sucralose or other sugar substitutes.  I have a very strong aversion to the flavor of any sugar substitute so I am seeking alternatives that fit the requirements I will need to meet.  Any ideas would be great.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/14 7:37 am - OH

Unfortunately, you are probably going to have a difficult time finding a protein shake without any of the sugar substitutes, and even you could, the sugar content is probably going to be too high (and you way find that it causes you to dump) and will have far more calories than you want.

Something like Ensure, for example, is 220 calories and 15-22g of sugar (depending on flavor and formula), for only 9g of protein!  A typical protein shake used by RNYers, though, has 20+ grams of protein, no sugar (or less than 5g) and about 100 calories (if made with water instead of milk).

your best bet may be to try to get your protein from solid food as early as possible.  (Some people don't use them at all, even right after surgery.)

You might also consider something like the Uniury chicken soup protein powder which is savory rather than sweet.  It has a LOT of sodium in it, though, so you definitely wouldn't want to have more than one a day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cpower100
on 7/27/14 7:52 am

I have been using the spiru-tein shakes and they are 99 calories, 14g protein, and about 7-8g sugar (depending on flavor) nut NUT has approved these but I am looking for other alternatives as well.  For example, would it be ok to substitute sf Popsicles with ones that I make using a juicer (carrots,apple,lemon)?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/14 8:34 am - OH

Probably not, but it depends on how you intend to use them.  Part of the appeal of SF Popsicles is that they have almost no calories and no carbs at all, but veggies and fruits have both calories and carbs (and fruits are often very high in carbs). 

So if you only want one every once in a while, making your own might be fine as long as it fits in within your overall intake for the day.  Many people use the SF Popsicles to get in additional fluids, though, or as a calorie and carb free snack, so the real fruit ones wouldn't be appropriate for that.

poet_kelly
on 7/27/14 8:19 am - OH

I would use an unflavored protein powder in your shakes, then.  For instance, you could make a coffee flavored shake with milk (or almond or soy milk, whatever you prefer), unflavored protein powder and decaf instant coffee.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/27/14 8:40 am - OH

That's a really good suggestion, Kelly.

I don't like coffee much, so it never occurred to me that it would be strongly flavored enough to "hide" the protein flavor from the powder.  (SF hot chocolate doesn't have a strong enough flavor to hide it, so I was never able to put it in any liquid where it didn't end up being objectionable).

56sunShine14
on 7/28/14 12:59 am

Question Kelly...are the unflavored protein powders REALLY unflavored or do they leave any kind of after taste?

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

poet_kelly
on 7/27/14 8:21 am - OH

As far as high protein foods, well, there are plenty without any sugar substitutes!  Plain Greek yogurt (add fruit and vanilla extract for flavor), cottage cheese, beans, tofu, meat, seafood, nuts and nut butters, cheese, those are all high in protein and would not have any sugar substitutes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cpower100
on 7/27/14 9:07 am

These are all great suggestions and all things I eat now.  The area that I am having the hardest time figuring out is the liquid phase and how to get enough protein/fluid in without using sugar substitutes.  Normally I am not much of a planner but it seems that the more planning ahead the better off and more successful I will be.  I am Trying to incorporate as many changes as I can as early on as possible.  

hollykim
on 7/27/14 9:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Jay Robb protein powders are sweetened with stevia. It is not an artificial sweetener.

Most Active