which type and financial struggle

tlgreen07
on 7/27/14 10:20 pm - Hastings, NE

The two types of surgery that I feel most comfortable with is the sleeve and the runy, but I am still unsure. My family and friends, except one friend, are against the thought all together. I haven't tried super hard to lose weight, but I know that if I exercise, I can only maintain, as I have no thyroid.

Also, my insurance does not cover anything concerning weight loss, which means I'm on my own money wise. I'm pretty sure I can't get a loan for it either as I have no credit. What are some other ways people have been able to afford thier surgery with no insurance?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/28/14 4:02 am

Self pay - saving then paying for it from savings. 

Get a job with insurance that covers WLS

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsBatt
on 7/28/14 4:25 am

Have you researched a surgery type called the Duodenal Switch? Given your BMI, you should at least consider it. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, especially for those with a BMI greater than 50. It makes a dramatic, permanent change in how we metabolize food.

As for insurance coverage---double-check exactly what your policy says. Most policies exclude treatment for obesity, but do cover treatment of morbid obesity. Does it anywhere say "All treatment for morbid obesity is excluded" or words to that effect?

What's the possibility of getting a second, part-time job with Starbucks? They have great coverage for WLS.

Also, consider going outside the US for surgery. Prices are usually MUCH cheaper, and as long as you do your research and choose a good surgeon, you can get as good or better care than inside the US.

poet_kelly
on 7/28/14 4:49 am - OH

If you haven't tried really hard to lose weight, I'd suggest doing that first.  In fact, I think many surgeons won't even perform WLS on patients that haven't really made an effort to lose weight without surgery first.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Eggface
on 7/28/14 10:13 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Give another look at your insurance documents... often weight loss surgery will be covered "if deemed medically necessary" and that could simple mean getting a Dr or 2 to sign off on it... especially if you are suffering from comorbidities.

If there is a loop hole wlsappeals.com will find it (Walt is a post op RNYer and attorney) knows his stuff, wish I knew him back when I self payed.

I went to Mexico (have since returned twice for post weight loss surgery reconstructive plastics too) if medical tourism is an option (its not for everyone but was a great choice for me) there is a Mexico forum here on OH (see drop down screen of forums above)

Best wishes with your research... I had RNY (8 years now, very happy with that choice) ask lots of Q's on all the different surgery boards but remember it's less about the way our guts are rearranged then the way we retrain our brain ;) in the end.

~Michelle "Shelly" 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active