Young VS Older

britterzvoice
on 7/31/14 9:25 am

Hey All,

I am waiting for Aug 12th to submit everything to insurance for approval. I really hope I get approved. My bmi is 54 . I am almost 25 years old and I was curious if EVERYONE has issues with lose skin or is it more for the 'older crowd'(no offence!!!!). I have seen before/after pics of all ages so I am just curious. I have never been skinny so Im really anxious about what I will look like if I get approved and lose all my extra weight. Should I be worried about a lot of excess skin??? All my weight is mainly in my tummy .Is there a way of preventing it??

Thanks in Advance.

Hislady
on 7/31/14 10:25 am - Vancouver, WA

The majority of it is genetics and I think the younger you are the little  bit better your chances are of it being better. I think everyone tho has some loose skin that's just the way it is. Now if you do strength training and tan it, it looks better but it's still gonna be there unless you get into plastic surgery. You can do a certain amount of camafloging it with clothes and shapers but only surgery can get rid of it for good.

britterzvoice
on 7/31/14 10:39 am

Thank you for your reply! I will keep that in mind. In the end its better than being big but still a consern. I just want to love my body eventually

Melanie L.
on 7/31/14 2:12 pm - Gadsden, Al

I don't mean to be a bummer but I had WLS as a Teen and revision as an adult. If I had known how horrible my skin issues were going to be post op I wouldn't have had as much depression. My big goal was to wear sleeveless. I have to say, I will Never be able to do that. For some reason I thought that I was going to be the exception and not the rule for skin. I had a panni paid for by the insurance, But all else is very expensive and not hardly ever covered. I wish someone had warned me preop. I will admit that when I lost weight earler, the bounce back was better but depending on the amount, expecting the skin to go to "normal" is probably not going to happen. Good genes and youth are on your side but have reasonable expectations that you've got stretched skin and you'll probably have a good deal of sag post op with a BMI of 54. Mine was 52. I'm not trying to be a downer, just trying to help someone not get really depressed post op like I was. Hell, I thought maybe I'd rock a bikini post op.....Not for a million bucks..lol. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/31/14 10:10 pm, edited 7/31/14 10:10 pm

You are young... Lose the excess weight, and start saving for plastic.. If you really want it - once you are able - get another - second job and start saving.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/1/14 12:00 pm - Belleville, IL

When I had my surgery I was 48/49...I had no plastics and had a hot fit gym body! (Yes I'm female) go to my profile and see my blog and photos. To be honest a lot of it is both genetics, your muscle under your fat (I had been going to the gym and weight lifting for 6 months before surgery) WEIGHT LIFTING is great and you will not "bulk up".  That being said...Your mileage may vary...How long you've been overweight and more important genetics. I had been overweight (morbidly obese) for well over 30 years...Still got thin and tight and a size 6 with nice "guns" a good look and thin tummy with no panny. That being said... When I was under 14 I ran everywhere, biked, rode horses and was a thin chicka.... When I hit puberty is when I got PCOS and gained weight.

Good luck!

Warmly,

Ducky

Most Active