Panniculectomy anyone?

Natalie2010
on 8/5/14 11:42 am

I am having my panni done next Thurs (Aug 14th).  I'm so nervous and so excited.  Just looking for anyone who's had one and what your experience was from start to finish....pics would be wonderful too.  My PS is guessing I will have about 5 pounds removed.

TIA :)

SandieMc49
on 8/5/14 11:32 pm

World of difference after.  I choose not to remember the process of actually having it.  So I guess that says, in the long run, it was not a big deal.  Is there pain - yep.  Is there scarring - yep.  BUT, so worth it.  Good gawd, even *I* don't want to see my before pics.  My doctor's office has them anyway - but trust me - it wasn't pretty.  Good luck - you will look even more amazing that you do now!

Sandie

bronze1
on 8/6/14 3:01 am - Chicago, IL

Hi Natalie,

You will love your body more after it is done. If I remember correctly, I had to roll out of bed because of the binding and the pain, but once it was off, it looked great.  My only regret is that I didn't wait until I lost more weight and stabilized, so I have a bit of skin that's loose.  That could be due to my age as well.  I'm 10 years out and managed to keep off 130 of the 190 pounds I lost.  Still would like to lose 40 more.  Good luck!

Natalie2010
on 8/6/14 12:19 pm

Thanks so much for the input.  I can't wait....just anticipating going under...it's so scary! Deep breaths.  How long did it take you to feel "ok' again and do everyday things realistically? I have 3 young kids....

X

happyteacher
on 8/8/14 9:50 am

Hi Tia,

I had a panniculectomy along with a vertical cut up to about where the bra hits to tighten the stomach muscles. Totally, totally worth the recovery.  I had far more discomfort from the vertical scar portion, but more persistent swelling in the Mons area.  I have a scar that wraps around my hips and across the front of the abdomen.  It was a bit of a shock at first, but once the scabbing phase was done it was easier to adjust. I will take the scar any day over all of the loose skin. The scars have faded, but have a ways to go.  I my scars fade very slowly though because I am super pale.  Eventually they will not be that noticable. My husband could care less, but loves the flat tummy and curve of the hips that resulted :)

Pain was manageble overall.  Do not expect to be able to lift anything for weeks.  Get some help around the house for the beginning portion.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/8/14 11:49 am - OH

It was the easiest of any "open" surgery I have ever had (despite the length of the incision... "Cutting from the table on one side until he hit the table on the other side" is the joke).  I had one drain that stayed in for several weeks, but because there is mo muscle cutting involved, the pain was quite minimal.  The only significant pain beyond the first week or so was at the end points of the incision on my hips, and that was because those points would get pulled when I would bend or twist.

How it looks when you are done depends on what you look like to start with (remember, no muscle tightening and no removal of skin above the belly button), the skill and technique of the surgeon (some make much more curved incisions and get a more natural looking result than those who make a less curved incision), and how well you heal.  No two people are going to look exactly alike.

It was wonderful for me to not have to continue buying baggy pants and tunic length shirts to cover the apron of skin after losing 175+ pounds (at the time)! 

Good luck!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active