How Many Grams of Carbs is Best?

CdngirlinNC
on 8/5/14 10:45 am

I'm 4 weeks post op and was given calories and protein levels for weight loss phase but not carbs.  What is considered a healthy amount of carbs? 

VSG 07/07/14

CerealKiller Kat71
on 8/5/14 11:09 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Every program is different.  For me, no amount of refined/process carbs is healthy.  Nearly all have a protein forward diet -- which means that there really isn't much room left for carbs during the honeymoon period after WLS.  My program only allows for naturally occurring carbs -- this means no white flour, breads, pasta or potatoes.  It works for me.  However, you will find other people here (also very successful) that have moderate amounts of carbs in their diet.   I'd ask your NUT what your plan has in mind.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

CdngirlinNC
on 8/5/14 11:31 am

Yes I am referring to naturally occurring carbs.  I don't eat refined carbs.  I also don't have a NUT so I was posting a question to others here hoping to hear what works for them.  

VSG 07/07/14

Kate -True Brit
on 8/5/14 5:19 pm - UK

I think to some extent this is down to you. I actually don't know how to count carbs! Never have done! I choose complex over simple carbs most of the time and have them third, after protein and veggies, so haven't much room left for them.  No-one ever told me to count carbs. 

Some people count carbs fanatically and that works for them. The more things I count, the more I obsess about food. The more I obsess, the harder I find it not to eat. But I don't find carbs are a trigger to bad eating for me except in the short term. If I eat one cookie, I find it very, very hard not to finish the packet in front of me.  But if there is only one cookie there, I eat that and don't get cravings for more. Some people would rush out to buy more. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Gwen M.
on 8/5/14 9:33 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My plan only gave me a protein goal (60-80), a liquid goal (64-96), a number of meals (3, no snacks), and a volume goal (4-8 oz per meal). 

I've been sticking to that and keeping my meals at 4 ounces. So far it seems to be going well for me. I do avoid super processed carbs, but I have had some rice and potatoes in moderation. 

If it stops working, I'll reevaluate, but I don't do well mentally if I count carbs and calories. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CdngirlinNC
on 8/5/14 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.  It's a learning curve for sure isn't it?

VSG 07/07/14

Gwen M.
on 8/5/14 10:10 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It really is!  And super individualized too.  It would be nice if there was a "one plan fits all" way to do things, eh?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

csbsteph
on 8/5/14 10:15 pm - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

I wish everyone's Doc was as kind as mine; the bariatric center actually gave us an instruction manual which was cool.  My Doc & the guide he gave me said don't go over 50 grams of carbs per day; I don't do that though I do as low carb an eating plan as possible; carbs sneak in when I have some soup or when I splurge and put 2 graham crackers in my light greek yogert, the Atkins cafe caramel protein shakes I have in the mornings have 2 carbs also but I try to avoid carbs by doing as Kathryn said above no starches & as Gwen has said also once you get the protien in there's just no room left for carbs.  Good luck on your journey.

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

CdngirlinNC
on 8/6/14 12:09 am

Thank you csbsteph, that was helpful.  I still can't eat solids so the name of the game for me since my surgery has been getting enough calories and protein in and sometimes I'll go heavier on carbs just to do that in the form of cream of wheat with added protein and puddings made with eggs and milk with stevia.  Anyway I'm getting the hang of it now and using My Fitness Pal, which I find very helpful.  I'm losing consistently but slowly but I don't think I'm going to stress about this and, as my food choices increase according to my ability to tolerate, I'll be more selective and try to stay around the 50 to 60 g of carbs per day.  Sounds like a plan!  Again, thank you for your response.

VSG 07/07/14

White Dove
on 8/6/14 12:29 am, edited 8/6/14 12:31 am - Warren, OH

Like Kate, I never had a carb goal given to me.  But surgery was my big chance at being healthy and I did not touch any carbs, except for low fat cheeses, applesauce, blueberries and strawberries.  I ate no breads, rice, potatoes, flour, sugar, rice, pasta, pastries, candies, etc.  I combed the internet for recipes and ideas.  I created a very tasty diet with things like flaxseed muffins.  Everything I ate was sugar-free, low-fat, and made without flours.

Sometimes setting limits like 50 carbs a day might become a way to justify eating things that are not contributing to your weight loss.  I gradually tried adding refined carbs back long after I was in maintenance.  I found that I no longer cared for them.  Now I do eat fruit and whole wheat breads for the benefits of fiber. 

Every program and doctor is different.  My doctor's plan was much more liberal than mine.  I just did what I believed would be right for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active