Need some helpful hints please.

auntturtle
on 8/12/14 4:33 pm

Hi. My name is crystal. I am in the process of getting the gastric sleeve. I just finished my 6 month diet plan. And now am waiting to hear from the surgeon.  I was wondering if anyone can give me the "skinny" on weight loss surgery. I have been reading stories of people who wish they never had it done and others who love it. So I was kinda wondering what ur expectations were before surgery and what the reality is now. And would you of done it again?

Thanks!! .

gram247
on 8/12/14 7:15 pm

Having the gastric sleeve saved my life. My health has improved, I can enjoy my time with my grandchildren. I don't regret it . I am in the midst of plastic surgery - 2 phases done 1 more to go. Then I will post pictures. So far down 170 pounds.

auntturtle
on 8/13/14 1:42 am

That is so good to hear. I cant wait to see pics. Thanks!!!! And congrats!!!!

jastypes
on 8/12/14 10:46 pm - Croydon, PA

I had my surgery 7+ years ago, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!  I think the short version of my reality is that I lost a lot of weight - FAST.  That felt amazingly awesome.  There were compliments, a new wardrobe, a new ability to do things, a new desire to try new thing.... and then there was alcohol.  Oops.  I had some struggle there.  A year and a half out from surgery I had lost all the weight I was going to, compliments stop, new things are taken for granted, life gets "real" again.  I had some regain.  I went back go support group meetings and posting here because no one understands this journey like others who have been through it.  I remembered why I had the surgery and found a way to live a better life again.  Got sober.  Put down sugar.  Got back on track.  Re-lost all the weight I had re-gained, plus more.  Life, with or without WLS, is a journey and not a destination.  Taking the weight off and keeping it off is not a one-shot deal.  It definitely takes some effort and some re-learning and willingness to change.  That's not so tough when we remember how awful it felt to be obese to the point of needing this surgery.

Crystal sounds like a young name.  :-)  I was 47 years old when I had the surgery, and I can honestly say I wish I had done it sooner.  It absolutely changed my life for the better, even with the struggles.  I work the 12-step program of Overeaters Anonymous, but I never hesitate to share that WLS is the gift of an amazing tool in the battle against obesity and disordered eating.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

auntturtle
on 8/13/14 1:51 am

I am 32. 33 in november. I am 5'6 and at my most 352. I remember thinking when I was a young teen that I will never let myself get this big because I knew I would have an issue with weight. I am an emotional eater. Eating makes me feel better because it tastes so good. But now I am diabetic have nerve damage and lots more. I am not able to have kids because of my weight. I am afraid I will die early because of this. So I decided to do the surgery.  I am excited but scared at the same time. My bf loves the way I look and is afraid I will leave him I once I am "skinny". But thats his issue not mine. I just dont want to die young. I have never been skinny and am excited to see what it will feel like.  I am just worried about dumping syndrome and all the other stuff that comes along with it.   

I am so proud to hear that you have over come all your obstacles. Its a insperation knowing that making mistakes after this procedure can be forgiven and fixed.

Thank you 

jastypes
on 8/13/14 2:01 am - Croydon, PA

Thank you.  Keep it real, Crystal.  You will most likely never be "skinny."  I weighed 320 when I started this journey.  I now weigh 176.  I wear size 14 pants and medium tops.  I know others who lost more and wear smaller sizes, but this is where my body is comfortable.  I divorced my husband after surgery, not because of how I looked or his reaction to it, or other people's reactions to it, but because I felt confident and blessed and was no longer willing to live in an abusive relationship.  Dumping syndrome can be avoided, as can a lot of post-WLS problems if we follow the rules laid out by our surgeons -- avoiding sugar and alcohol; eating 6 small meals a day; not drinking when eating, etc.  The rewards are awesome.  I no longer take medications for diabetes, hypertension, GERD, sleep apnea, high cholesterol or heel spurs.  My health is TONS better than it was when I was in my 30's.  I am sure I have added years to my life.  The diabetic neuropathy I had developed hasn't completely gone away, and it serves as a reminder of where I came from and where I do not want to return.  Do what is right for you. I'm excited for you.  I imagine you are going to be the happiest you have ever been!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

auntturtle
on 8/13/14 2:54 am

I am keeping it real. A size 14 is skinny to me. I would live to be a 14.

MsBatt
on 8/13/14 8:32 am

Since you mention nerve damage from diabetes, I'm going to urge you to research a form of WLS called the Duodenal Switch. It has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that so very good at treating diabetes that surgeons in Europe even do it on non-obese people!

The DS also have the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. You owe it to yourself to consult with a surgeon who does the DS, whether you ultimately choose it or not.

Tracy D.
on 8/13/14 2:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You may want to x-post this on the VSG forum as more post-ops will probably see it over there and respond.  

And yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat!  The reality surpassed any and all of my expectations. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

auntturtle
on 8/13/14 2:55 am

Ty and congrats!!!!

Most Active