How Long...

Lady_K1126
on 8/18/14 11:48 pm

How long are you generally in the hospital?  Also, how long are you normally off of work post-op?

HW:  360   CW: 291.8 GW:  170

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/14 11:55 pm

I'm the worlds worst wimp regarding pain so I was there 4 days after my RNY walking and stalking the halls every fifty minutes ...  It was kind of fun actually meeting with a huge variety of fellow bariatric patients most of whom I never heard from again .  Then again a lot of them obviously had a lot of problems.

I would advise taking as long a vacay as possible especially if you have a competitive job.  My feeling ( and look) was being run over by a mack truck.   I tried to attend planning board etc meetings post op with protein drinks and a driver ... people "misunderstood" or ( deliberately ?) misexplained my hospitalization as " rehab !!!! " I kid you NOT  boy was I PISSED when i heard i was being backstabbed and gossipped about baselessly .   My physical vulnerability made me politically fair game ... 

Karen M.
on 8/19/14 12:54 am, edited 8/19/14 12:56 am - Mississauga, Canada

Given your posts over the years I'm not sure their gossip was entirely "baseless".

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 8/19/14 6:34 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/14 11:58 pm

Which is of course NOT to say don't have the surgery ... you will come  back far stronger than before ... just protect Urself properly while Ure healing .  This is MAJOR surgery and the huge lifestyle changes need to be given their proper respect . 

jefferytmc
on 8/19/14 12:01 am

It varies greatly based on the surgical group and your pain levels and your job.

I have a friend that had RNY as outpatient.  She has done fine, not sure how long she was out of work.

My wife and I also had RNY and our group did 3 days in the hospital (the day of surgery, one full day and then the day we went home, so only 2 nights).

My wife did have some pain even after coming home from the hospital.  She is a teacher, so on her feet a lot, she had surgery the Friday before they were going to be off for a week for Thanksgiving.  She was out that whole week and one more, so including her day of surgery, she was out 2 weeks and one day.

I had mine done on a Tuesday, came home on Thursday and was out the next week, so I was out just under two weeks.  But I have a desk job and I also worked from home during my second week out.  I had very little pain after surgery, so I probably could have gone back during that second week, but I had already planned to be off, so I took the time.  I also took a LOT of naps during that week at home.

Both of us did fine when we went back to work.  

But I have heard of people taking several weeks, especially if they had a strenuous job.

HW: 440.5  RNY 2/18 (Feb - 27, Mar -21, Apr -11, May -15.5, Jun - 12, Jul -14.5, Aug -9, Sept -11, Oct 6.2)

poet_kelly
on 8/19/14 12:35 am - OH

I think it depends on which surgery you have and if it is done open or laproscopically.

I had lap RNY and was in the hospital one night.

The lap band and VSG are sometimes done as outpatient procedures.

Some people are in the hospital two or three nights.  Longer of course if there are complications.

You should ask your surgeon how long you should expect to be in the hospital if all goes as planned.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Linsie
on 8/19/14 1:17 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I had RNY done three months ago and was in the hospital 4 days (had issues with dehydration) - and was recommended to be off work a minimum of 4 weeks (that was given by my surgeon and family doctor before I even had surgery). It was tough to go back especially since I was only 3 days in with solid foods (each clinic differs on instructions mind you).  I also have a desk job, so if you have a high activity job, you would be off for longer i'd suspect.

Tracy D.
on 8/19/14 1:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It really depends on the type of surgery you're having and whether it will be done "open" or via laparoscope.   I had VSG via laparoscope on a Friday and was home on Sunday.  Took a week off work and went back the following Monday.  Did fine.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 8/19/14 2:13 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It depends on a lot of things, of course.  I had laparascopic VSG on Thursday morning and I was home by Friday evening.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active