Hair Loss and How to Strengthen Overall? (Pre-op)

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 4:20 am, edited 8/31/14 4:57 am

I lose it in the shower, when I brush my hair, on my hair tie when I take down my hair, on my pillow.

I use Brazilian Keratin Therapy shampoo and conditioner by a brand called OGX (in the colorful containers). It is sold at Rite-Aid and Meijer. I also use Selsun Blue for dandruff control, but it burns my scalp even during a short time of applying it.

I am gentle when brushing, but my hair is fine, wavy, and prone to tangling. I use a kid's de-tangler spray from Great Clips, and that works well as long as it is used in small amounts.

What do you use for strong, healthy hair?

Racewalker48
on 8/31/14 4:38 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I have had surgery  and have color treated hair.  I make sure I am getting my protein in and take Biotin, which is necessary for healthy hair, nails and other benefits.  

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 4:42 am

I have also had my hair colored, highlighted, and styled with heat tools such as flat irons and blow dryers. The Biotin is probably a great idea. I currently take Calcium Citrate, a Multivitamin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Iron every day.

Valerie G.
on 8/31/14 4:47 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You didn't post how far post-op you are.  Seeing 122 lbs to go on your sig line, though, I'd imagine you're within the first 6 months?

If this is the case, what you are experiencing is called Telogen Effluvium.  It starts a few months post-op, lasts a few months and goes back to normal.  In a nutshell, your body has rebooted the hair growth cycle.  What is shedding is being replaced by new hair follicles.  This cannot be stopped by any vitamin, protein, shampoo, or other hair products.  It will stop on its own.  Your best bet right now is to get shorter layered cut to blend in the new growth and prevent the chia-pet look.  

Now, if you're a year or two out, you need to get your bloodwork done, for hair loss after that first year can be a sign of significant malnutrition.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 4:53 am, edited 8/31/14 4:55 am

oops.. I'm actually Pre-op

chia pets, LOL!

Valerie G.
on 9/1/14 12:24 am, edited 9/1/14 12:24 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Don't lose any sleep over it, really.  For most of us, the only ones who notice it is us and whoever looks at the shower drain.  It happened when I had my son, too, by c-section.  I had really long hair then and it looked scary how much was in the shower drain.  I still had a full head of hair, though.  The important thing is to NOT waste your money on any special shampoos, and know that extra vitamins and protein will help the NEW hair coming in, but do nothing to preserve the old hair.  Some people come out of surgery and their hair is limp and lifeless.  The telogen effluvium is the answer to their prayers for healthy beautiful hair again.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

glady
on 8/31/14 5:12 am

I swear by biotin supplements. A while before my surgery I started taking biotin because my hair grew so slowly. I started taking the 1000 once a day dose and some months later my hair had grown as much as it use to when I was a kid. After my rny I will take my biotin two to three times a day. My haor growth has slowed down but I have had no hair loss 8 months out. It still might happen but I credit my continuous use of biotin for my hair staying put this long lol. Only draw back is that biotin might cause some break outs and greasier hair. My hair definitely got greasier but I have had no skin issues that I can tell. I suggest you start taking biotin now so after surgery your body will have a reserve untill you eat enough protein again.

12/30/13-RNY SW-277 GW-140  

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 5:32 am

I am going to have to find a cheap Biotin as my mom is the one who helps me pay for stuff.

MsBatt
on 9/1/14 4:28 am

Have you had pre-op blood work done yet? (Be sure you get this done soon. If you have any deficiencies, now, before surgery, is the time to work on getting them up to par. It will be MUCH harder to do post-op.) If you're losing hair, I'd be looking at your protein levels, various minerals, etc.

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/14 3:49 am

Yes I had blood work done as one of the very first things to do on my list. I had iron and vitamin d deficiency and I also was recommended to take vitamin C and Calcium Citrate.

Most Active