Finishing my last two classes and seeing the surgeon

lily22
on 9/16/14 4:31 am

Hi I am in the UMASS bariatric program trying to get the gastric bypass. SO far so good. I have lost a couple pounds and now have two classes before my first visit with the surgeon. I just want to know will they send me for special test ( sleep apnea, stress test, etc.) or would this have all been requested by now. I don't have sleep apnea or any heart conditions I'm pretty healthy except for my weight, pcos, pain in knees and ankles due to weight. So just want to know if I should expect test or get excited because I am near ????

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 9/16/14 5:01 am, edited 9/16/14 5:01 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I do not know what procedures the UMASS bariatric program follows, but it wasn't until I met with the surgeon and the internist that they scheduled me for a cardiac stress test, sleep study, etc.

They generally require these tests to help diagnose any problems that could affect you while you're on the operating table under anesthesia as well.  It's part of their due diligence.  I would expect them to order the tests, but maybe you'll get lucky and they won't require it.  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

peaches_84
on 9/16/14 5:53 am

I believe they will still send you to get the sleep apnea test. Many people have it and don't know it. If you have it you will have to go for a second study where they test you for the cpap machine.

I am 4 weeks out. I had the Bypass as well. Good Luck and congrats!

poet_kelly
on 9/17/14 8:57 am - OH

I don't know if they will send you for those tests or not.  It depends on if your surgeon thinks you need them and if your insurance requires them.

Why not call your surgeon's office and ask if you are wondering?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lily22
on 9/17/14 9:49 pm

Thank you so much. I do have a group session to go to on the 23rd.  I will see the nutritionist also I will ask to see what's next

Most Active