My surgery with Dr. Joya a few weeks ago... Here's my story :)

Libby L.
on 9/18/14 8:07 am
VSG on 09/02/14 with

I wanted to describe my week pre and post op... I'll call surgery day "Day 0".

Day -3, -2, and -1 I spent relaxing in Puerto Vallarta.  The Sunset Hotel is a beautiful resort! The heat was crazy though, the real feel temp was 40 degrees celcius...  So lots of time spent in pool and in room.  I came to PV on my own, but was happy to meet other Dr. Joya patients at the hotel and talk to them.

I was not entirely diligent with my preop diet.  My BMI was 36.7.  Dr. Joya wants a 14 day liquid diet if your BMI is over 37, and a 5 day BMI if it's over 36.  I compromised on 10 days...  I mostly has protein shakes, but also "cheated" with protein - chicken, eggs, salad... I lost 10 pounds so was 215 on surgery day.

Surgery day at 8 AM I took a cab to Amerimed Hospital.  I hadn't been sure what to expect but it was a real hospital- babies born here etc.  This is when it was very clear that no matter what the skill of the medical team was, I was still having surgery "in Mexico".  I was asked to sign a bunch of paperwork, in Spanish (I don't speak Spanish beyond a few phrases).  I asked for the English versions, and there were translations for some, not for others.

Then I was weighed, height taken, blood taken, and taken upstairs to our ward.  I found the actual doctors excellent, their staff was fair to poor.  More on that later!

I had a private room, flat screen TV, adjustable hospital bed, leather couch, leather reclining chair, private bathroom.  Very very comfortable.  I was happy to see the other Albertan patients up and walking around looking good - they'd had their surgery the day before.

Around 11, I was then seen by an internist Dr. Aldo, who had reviewed my medical history, checked my abdomen.

Around 1, I had an EKG.  My first!

Around 2, my nurse put in an IV.  The IV stayed in for about 24 hours.  

Around 3, I met with Dr. Joya.  Any concerns I may have had were really put at ease - this man is clearly an expert.  He answered my questions about bougie size, incisions, GERD, etc.

Around 4, was taken to operating room.  Was given IV that put me to sleep, woke up in recovery room, and back to my room later that evening.  Was walking around that night.  No stent or tube or anything.  Main issues the first night were:  nausea, the gas (felt like stabbing pains in my upper torso).

Day 1 post surgery - I had had a fairly uncomfortable night - I have a very low tolerance for pain!  Didn't feel much "pain", didn't cry, was on great IV meds, and my nurses came in every 4 hours to take my vitals.  I spent the day walking around, watching Netflix, and visiting with other patients.  IV came out that afternoon.  Had shower.  Spent this second night in hospital and asked that I be allowed to sleep through the night which they agreed to.

Day 2 - was discharged around 2 PM.  Back to hotel for R and R...

Day 3, 4 - spent at hotel, drinking juice, Gatorade, broth, jello...  Wasn't hungry really and not in much pain at all.  Was prescribed and picked up meds for preventing ulcers, gas, nausea, pain.  Didn't really need them.

Then flew home :)

It's now been 2 weeks and 2 days since my sleeve surgery.  I've lost 25 pounds and I'm 199.6 today - first time in years I'm under 200 lbs.  Yay!  I already feel the difference.

I'm not being entirely diligent with my post op diet.  I can't stand to look at another protein shake.  Anyway, I would entirely recommend Dr. Joya and his team.  My incisions are pretty much healed and I've had no complications.  

Good luck to everyone :)

Missourimedic
on 9/18/14 3:44 pm
VSG on 10/06/14 with

Thank you for sharing, I hope everything works out for you and thank you for being honest. Try and stick to the post-op diet it is the only way to lose the weight and keep it off from what I have read and seen here and in the world.

I have a very high BMI at 60 and have been put on a 21 day pre-op diet with 5 days of clear liquid prior to the surgery.

Most Active