Is it OK to lose weight before even the initial consultation?

MisterMoose
on 9/20/14 11:17 am

Probably a strange question, but since I made the decision to pursue WLS a few weeks ago, I have really been eating very little in order to better understand what my future daily eating habits may be.  I am scheduled for an initial consultation in a few weeks, but I am currently a  good candidate -   with a BMI of around 41 (6'3-328 lbs) , Heart Disease (Angioplasty w/stent TWICE), High Blood Pressure controlled by medicine, Sleep Apnea, and recently diagnosed with Type2 Diabetes.

I have lost about 12-14 lbs in the past 2 weeks by eating very, very little, which means my BMI has now dropped to around 39.

This is nothing new, I have "starved" myself on diets before, and when I do, I am typically successful in initially losing 20-30 lbs, before I fall off the wagon and return to what I consider to be normal eating habits/appetite.  Then, the weight creeps back.  I have Yo-Yo'd this way for 30+ years.  So, THIS TIME I would like to follow the 20-30 lb weight loss with my WLS  (Sleeve), and then lose another 60-70  lbs.     

From information on this Message Board, I now understand that prior to having any  WLS, there is a preparation period where you have to be on a restrictive diet, which typically leads to a significant weight loss. 

My concern is that if I lose another 10 lbs in the next 2 weeks, and then another 20 prior to the surgery, I will be around 36-37 BMI.   Would that possibly nullify my insurance coverage?    I know the natural response may be to say if you lose 40 lbs without WLS, then just go ahead an lose another 60-70 on your own, but I have been down that road before, and know the only way for me to be able to control this for life is by having an additional tool via WLS ALONG WITH  a lifestyle change. 

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bubbles314
on 9/20/14 11:41 am - Kalamazoo, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

You need to call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask what the requirements are for you to have the surgery and if they cover it.  The appt with your Surgeon and his team may also be able to help you with that since they work with insurance all the time.

Good luck to you

purplecow
on 9/20/14 12:45 pm

Working for a major insurance carrier, I will tell you this.  We "normally" look for a 35 BMI with a comorbidity of Diabetes, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, etc. Or a 40 and higher BMI ..However, let me tell you this, during the wait from the time you first see your surgeon and the time you go in for surgery, most surgeons do NOT want you to gain any weight.  A lot of them will also cancel the surgery if you do gain weight.  I'm telling you this b/c of my own personal experience.  You see, I was dieting when I "first" saw my surgeon.  He weighed me and now that I'm about to have my sleeve in 2 1/2 weeks, I have to make sure that I don't weight any more than I did when I first saw him in January.  The bad part is, I went through the "last supper" syndrome and ate many "last suppers."  So, now I'm trying so very hard to lose the weight that I've gained during the last few months.  Best of luck to you!  :)

VSG on 06/12/13

Tread carefully here until you know - In writing - exactly what your insurance company requires. I had a BMI of 38.8 at submission and my insurance required 40, with no consideration given to comorbidities. The net was that I had to go through a lengthy appeals process which I eventually won. 

My then-surgeon's office assured me that my insurance company would accept 35 with comorbidities even though I knew they required 40. Best thing to do - get a copy of your current insurance contract that spells out exactly what you need to do. That is the document they must abide by.

good luck, and feel free to PM me if your have any other questions.

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

VSG on 06/12/13

Also - each policy is different and is driven by the employer's program selection. I had united health care, and had one if the most restrictive programs available. Other UHC'ers sailed right through with a BMI of 35. My husbands employer required 40. Luck of the draw.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Daelcare
on 9/21/14 7:21 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I have all of the comorbidity issues, but my BMI was not quite to 35 (the minimum my surgeons will even consider)...so I had to eat to get there!  Sad that for the first time in my life I wasn't quite fat enough!!  The insurance company denied the procedure (my husband's company specifically excluded it from their coverage), so now it's out of pocket!  Once the surgeon's office said I was a candidate, I've been able to start losing because they had a baseline to work from.  Best of luck to you....praying the insurance covers it for you.

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Most Active