no energy

ginhamp
on 9/25/14 1:35 pm

I am new to this and have found this very reassuring and helpful.  Thank you all.  I had my surgery 9/5/2014 and lost 19 pounds when I went to Dr yesterday.  Yay!  My question/problem is I am so very tired and feel really weak.  Is this to be expected?  I am on the soft and mushy phase and the first few day I had a hard time getting all my protein in - I couldn't keep it down. Better today.

MickeyDee
on 9/25/14 3:28 pm

Are you taking your vitamins and supplements yet?  That can often make you feel dragged out.

Otherwise, it can also simply be getting over the surgery;  just recovering from anesthesia can take 2-3 weeks.

"Nap as needed!"

kathkeb
on 9/25/14 4:50 pm

I don't know which surgery you had, but you are probably still recovering from major surgery.

Are you able to grab a mid-day nap?

are you able to do some light walking .... Sometimes exercise actually energizes us.

Do what you can to get in your protein, and make sure you are getting enough fluids .... Hydration is the most important thing right now.

Kath

Vivian Prouty
on 9/25/14 10:07 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Congrats on your 19 lbs. lost.    If you are able to take vitamins and keep them down....get some sublingual B12.   Take 500 mg a day ( you put them under your tongue and they melt ).   Those will give you energy.   I am with everyone else....you are still in the "body healing" phase and it takes time to get your energy back but the B12 will help you if your able to take them.    Also you don't have to abandon your protein shakes just because your eating mushy foods.....slip a protein shake in and up your protein as well.   Good luck to you and congrats again !!!

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Karen M.
on 9/26/14 1:23 am - Mississauga, Canada

B12 does not magically "give you energy", nor should you be suggesting what someone should be taking with respect to vitamins. Vitamin regimen requirements are to be recommended by qualified professionals based on an individual's needs, NOT by "someone on the internet".

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

purplecow
on 9/26/14 11:00 am

Thank you Ms. Vivian.  I will definitely keep that in mind!

Karen M.
on 9/26/14 1:28 am - Mississauga, Canada

Contrary to a couple of posts advising you to take vitamins (please follow what your professionals recommend for you), I would venture to guess that you're simply tired due to recovering from a major surgery. Healing and recovery take a lot out of you and your body is also trying to adjust to a very different nutritional intake.

Rest when you need to, walk when you can, stay hydrated.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Valerie G.
on 9/29/14 8:43 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Did they have you thinking you'd be bouncing off of the walls by now?  Somebody left you horribly misinformed, I'm afraid.

First of all, we talk about this so casually, that it's easy to forget that this is a MAJOR SURGERY.  It took me a good 4-5 weeks to feel completely listless before I started feeling like myself again.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you're well hydrated.  Your body needs 64oz of fluids daily - no ifs, ands, or butts.  If you're not getting it, you could be dehydrated.   Dehydration causes fatigue and nausea, so you could be adding insult to injury there.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/1/14 5:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

For the first month after my surgery, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus. Two months out, I was still taking a lot of naps after work. You're running on WAY fewer calories than before surgery, and your body is focusing on healing, so most of us feel exhausted for a few weeks, if not longer.

I found that getting moving helped a lot, even if it was just walking to my mailbox and back. Hydration is super important, and if you're sick of water you can add lemon or cucumber, or have Crystal Light for some of your fluids as well.

Also, be kind to your body! Don't be afraid to take it easy, nap when you need to, or just rest on the sofa once in a while. There's a lot for your body to get used to, and it's better to make sure you heal all the way before you get pick up the pace again.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active