So...holidays approaching fast

Sandie E.
on 10/8/14 7:22 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

So what do those of you cook during the holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas?  I was just talking about it with my husband last night.  Our typical sweet potatoes with marshmallows, walnuts, and brown sugar on top will be a no-go for me and home made cranberries will be a no-go as well unless I alter the recipes.  I am about 5 months out now and can eat most everything else we make, but I wanted some experienced people to provide input, advice, or ideas please.  :)

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/8/14 7:38 am

I still cook mostly everything I did before surgery-I just don't eat it. However, check out Nik's and Shelly's holiday recipes: http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Gwen M.
on 10/8/14 9:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'll be making the same things this year that I made last year for Thanksgiving.  I just won't be eating as much as I did.  Everyone else will still enjoy everything!  And I'll have a taste of everything after I eat my 3 ounces of turkey :)

No Knead Bread (for eating)
Bread Machine White Bread x2 (for stuffing)
High-Heat Roasted Turkey (We're getting another heritage turkey this year!)
Apple-Raisin Bread Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole
Cream Cheese and Chive Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Casserole
Pumpkin Bread
storebought vanilla ice cream
Molten Lava Cakes

For Christmas, we grill filet mignon, salmon, and portobellos.  Then we do a french onion casserole, green bean casserole, and a green salad.  So, again, no changes, I'll just eat what I can in me-size portions.  

Other modifications.. I'll only eat eggs for the traditional holiday breakfasts and just a bite of coffee cake instead of a whole piece.  I'll only eat the sauce for Christmas Eve spaghetti.  I don't foresee that it'll be very challenging!  (And it helps that I'm involved with all of the meal planning and cooking at our holiday gatherings.  Heh.)

New Years Eve, though.. that'll be harder.  We traditionally do "Junk Food Day" which has morphed over the years into "Graze on Homemade Appetizer Day."  So one of the appetizers that I make this year might be deviled eggs.  Heh.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cathy W.
on 10/9/14 3:56 am

Thanks for the links to your recipes.  I've saved them as a recipe resource. 

I wasn't sure what to make for dinner but I do now - Pork Roast with Dijon Glaze.  I just sent my son to the store to get the ingredients.

Thanks again!

Gwen M.
on 10/9/14 4:20 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Valerie G.
on 10/8/14 9:57 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I cook and eat everything, just a bite or two of each after I get a decent portion of protein first.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

purplecow
on 10/8/14 11:41 am

sounds like a great idea Valerie!! thanks!

Heather I.
on 10/8/14 12:36 pm

Depends on who I'm cooking for, I guess.  As a guest, I bring a "safe" dessert (that's where I get tempted) to share.  The first couple years were a big deal and extremely anxiety provoking.  Now, everyone knows not to comment or ask on my eating habits.  EAT SLOW, pick at your food/pu**** around your plate and engage in coversation in order to keep pace with everyone.  As you sense everyones eating is slowing down, it is safe to have those bites that will fill you up.  I can now do this so I'm full about the same time everyone else is (instead of 10 seconds into the feast).

Sandie E.
on 10/8/14 12:30 pm - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Thank you everyone! Any ideas for sugar substitute since I had rny? And whole wheat/whole grain stuffing?

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

MsBatt
on 10/9/14 4:15 am

Here in the South, we make our stuffing primarily from cornbread. Corn meal is *usually* whole-grain, and a great deal easier on my gut than white bread is.

As for the original question---I'll be cooking, and eating, turkey, cornbread stuffing, giblet gravy, scalloped potatoes, broccoli casserole, green beans, creamed corn, various kinds of pickles, deviled eggs, fresh tomatoes and green onions, yeast rolls, pecan pie, lemon ice box pie, and peanut butter fudge.

Most Active