Reactions after surgeon problems

swimbikerun
on 10/20/14 8:50 am

When people have a problem with a surgeon, did you meet with Facebook and other groups who wanted the story hidden? I'm finding that some prominent WLS people seem to support the surgeon rather than the patient. Well, they don't even ask the patient their side, and if the doctor followed HIPAA, they couldn't ask theirs ... makes you wonder doesn't it?

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/20/14 9:50 am

No, I am completely unfamiliar with that issue. As a matter of fact, there is a poster here whose wife had significant complications, and he was very frank about his upset with her care and the surgeon. As far as I am aware, there was no effort made to suppress anything.

I don't understand why anyone would want things hidden, especially if patient care were compromised. Most of the WLS community, as you call it, are vociferous in advocating for proper care. Could you give us some specifics?

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

swimbikerun
on 10/20/14 10:10 am

Here maybe, but on Facebook, I'm finding a few of them, especially notable ones. Melting Mama would be the first one, especially as she didn't ask me for proof (and I'm more than happy to give any one that).

What I am going to do now is getting together the records and other things to post. Most of these things are going to be redacted, but some of them like the police reports (where the cops say I was doing nothing wrong) there is nothing I can do on that. The issue isn't the surgeon as much as what people should be aware of in the way of recognizing complications, asking questions, and what happens if they have a problem. When it comes to having problems it would work not just for bariatrics but for all things.

I just dont want another WLS person to go through what I did. The lack of care has made an impact to my health. The reputation given me has caused loads of problems getting appropriate care. No one should have to deal with that, especially when I said I'm not sue happy person but I expected the doctor to fix their mistakes and definitely don't blame the patient for complications.

Changing to a new blog. Please investigate your surgeon. Ask specific questions on after care, practice philosophies, office staff, nutrition, supplements, etc.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/14 11:17 am - OH

If you are part of a Facebook bariatric group that has been created by someone, yes, they can determine what info they want posted under their group's name.  I'm not sure how you think MM has prevented your story from being told, but if it is "her" group, she can do that.  Perhaps you should create your own FB group?

I was totally confused about this post, so I went out to your blog and it is almost incoherent because it is so vague!  Perhaps you should focus on making your blog more coherent (I still cannot figure out exactly what issues you had with the care you received because your blog focuses so much on the office staff taking photos of you, people following you, and the police saying you aren't doing anything wrong, and has very confusing, somewhat cryptic entries about emails and lack of information and alleged HIPAA violations.  No offense intended, but if your posts on the Facebook page were as confusing and cryptic as the blog entries, perhaps the group owner didn't want them there precisely because they are confusing and cryptic?

None of the things on the blog entries I saw help educate people about what to look for when choosing a surgeon, tell them what kinds of poor after care to look out for, or even provide any reasons to avoid YOUR surgeon (whom you somewhat curiously never name).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

swimbikerun
on 10/20/14 11:34 am

Someone else said that. I'll take them down and repost.

I'm not into naming the surgeon because the issue is getting people to not focus on the surgeon as much as they do the after care, what the surgeon knows, their practice philosophies.

I had asked MM because I had several items that did follow the FAQ and were removed. I also had removed all but 2 posts that asked for help. This was days before I talked to her. She said she would ask what happened and after that, nothing: I got blocked. Is that her right to do so? Absolutely. Is there a question because one of the admins had my surgeon and maybe doesn't want my story out? Yes. There is not just that conflict of interest, but there is also 2 others.

Those are some of the things I want to warn others about.

If you look at my rating of the surgeon, actually I break it down. He is and I've always said, an excellent surgeon. It with other things that I have questions on. For example, when a person is on public property and standing or walking around (not talking to any one, giving gestures, etc.) just because you don't like them being there is a reason to call the cops, follow them, etc.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/20/14 11:56 am - OH

That makes sense.  

It actually would not surprise me at all if one of MM's admins was responsible for blocking you and removing the info. Enough said.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

swimbikerun
on 10/20/14 12:09 pm

Yes I suspect so. The funny part is, I had supported that admin personally before. I happened to PM her a week or so ago, and ask how she doing, noticed the issue at that point, and said do you not want me to contact you? She said no its ok.

So I'm like ... ???    At least with the surgeon I did try to work the issue out.

Kinda odd as another poster on that group also had a problem with the surgeons' office.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/20/14 10:09 am

You post does not give any info what you you are looking for. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

swimbikerun
on 10/20/14 10:12 am

I'm sorry, I thought the first line did. I didn't know if any one had encountered people or "support" groups (like Facebook) who tried to keep a patients' story and their facts from being told on their not all positive WLS journey.

hollykim
on 10/20/14 10:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 20, 2014 at 5:12 PM Pacific Time, swimbikerun wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought the first line did. I didn't know if any one had encountered people or "support" groups (like Facebook) who tried to keep a patients' story and their facts from being told on their not all positive WLS journey.

Facebook is not a support group. It is a social networking site.

Most Active