newbie...

alyssa9409
on 10/21/14 1:32 pm

Hello everyone. I am in process of trying to get my bariatric surgery done. I am 23 years old and not sure exactly what to expect.  I would love to hear from anyone and everyone who has any advice, tips, encouraging words, and even the downfalls for the surgery. I would appreciate it all. Thank you!! 

MsBatt
on 10/21/14 2:00 pm

Okay, here's my advice---RESEARCH EVERYTHING. There are four basic forms of bariatric surgery. The LapBand is the least effective, especially for those with a higher BMI. The Duodenal Switch, is the most effective, again especially for those with a higher BMI. The VSG/Sleeve and the RNY/gastric bypass have very similar results, and fall somewhere in the middle. Each form of WLS will require different things from you, so you need to understand them all in order to make a good decision about which one is best for YOU. This decision will affect the rest of your life, so don't rush into anything.

I'm almost 11 years post-op from my DS, and I'm still "in love" with it. The DS has proven to be a perfect match for me and the way I want to live. It allows me to eat the foods I love best, and has actually made some changes in my taste in food. Best of all, it's removed the guilt factor, because the foods I love are pretty much healthy foods for me now that I have malabsorption on my side.

Visit the various surgical boards, including the Revision board. Talk with folks who are several years post-op. (Nearly everyone is in love with their surgery type during the first couple of years.)

alyssa9409
on 10/21/14 11:14 pm

thank you for your reply. I have chosen to get the sleeve procedure.As of right now, I am looking at a surgery date of December 3rd. I am still doing my research, and it helps that I work in a bariatric department as well. Congrats on your success :)

Kate -True Brit
on 10/21/14 6:42 pm - UK

Welcome and best wishes.

you may get more answers if you ask specific questions. I am not really sure where to start answering - except to echo that you should do lots of research!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

alyssa9409
on 10/21/14 11:11 pm

thank you for the help. I think one of my biggest concerns would be the excess skin after surgery. is that a big concern after surgery?

Kate -True Brit
on 10/21/14 11:32 pm - UK

Generally, yes!  But it depends on your age, how obese, how long obese, your genes. Exercise will tone muscle under the skin but will not tighten the skin itself. Some are lucky! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

alyssa9409
on 10/21/14 11:37 pm

I plan on working at it after surgery as well, but I am hoping to be one of the lucky ones when it comes to this... :)

Most Active