fresh out of lap-band surgery 10/22/14

ivory214
on 10/22/14 6:52 am

So today was the big day. I was the first one in and was discharged by 12pm. Everything went well, except waking up gagging from the tube still down my throat. I have never had any kind of surgery so as far as the healing process I'm a total newbie. I'm having a hard time distinguishing pain from the surgery and incisions and possibly drinking too much. I know I am supposed to drink 64oz of fluid daily but how much can I drink (sip) at once and then how often? If this makes any sense I feel full but hungry? I know that there will be tightness because of the band being around my new stomach, but it's hard for me to tell if it's tightness from the band/swelling from surgery and feeling full. I obviously don't want to vomit or stretch my new stomach so I'm just trying to find some answers....

Thanks all!

Nancy

Bette B.
on 10/22/14 12:32 pm

If you only had your surgery this morning, you can be pretty sure that EVERYTHING going on right now is related to the surgery.

Didi your doc send you home without any "aftercare" instructions?? It's been 11 years since my surgery but as I remember it, I was supposed to drink about a shotglass of liquids every 10 or 15 minutes. You're probably not going to feel full, per se, on fluids, but your new stomach is still reacting to the surgery so you probably will feel tightness in your stomach for a few days. Do you know if your band was installed empty or with any fill in it?

If you only had your surgery this morning, you can be pretty sure that EVERYTHING going on right now is related to the surgery.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

ivory214
on 10/22/14 8:18 pm

So much aftercare, lol. It says I have to drink 64oz fluids but they didn't specify how much I can drink at one time and at what intervals. He did not fill the band. They told us that due to the swelling they don't fill it then. Thanks for your input.

kathkeb
on 10/22/14 4:09 pm

What Bette said.

I took tiny sips all day long, trying to get 1 ounce every 10-15 minutes, so it took about 8 hours to drink 64 ounces.

The first few days I was sore from surgery and from having a hiatal hernia repair and for the left over gas.

I slept as much as I could and walked and sipped the rest of the day as much as I could.

Heating pad helped with the gas/shoulder pain. Walking helped move the gas up and out of my body.

The incisions are tiny, but they actually fit some pretty big instruments through them .. And surgery can be rough.

Let yourself heal.

Kath

ivory214
on 10/22/14 8:28 pm

Oh wow, well I managed to get down 64oz of fluids but I just feel so tight and full. My port area is KILLING ME! I have always slept on my stomach but now obviously I can't. They gave me Vicodin (5-325) and it doesn't seem to be touching the pain. I didn't have to have any hiatal hernia repair. Last night and when I woke up this morning I have been trembling (teeth chattering and all) but temp was only 97.5. Do you think I should call for stronger meds?

Bette B.
on 10/22/14 10:21 pm

My rule is to ALWAYS call your surgeon when something is bothering you so, yes, call and ask about meds.

The port WILL hurt like hell, because it is sewn into your muscle to keep it in place. It's not just a basic incision like the other ones. The port pain will do away, as should ALL pain.

This is all baby steps - one step at a time, baby! 

ivory214
on 10/23/14 1:43 am

Do you know how long will it hurt like this at the port site?

Bette B.
on 10/23/14 6:40 am

It's impossible to say, since everyone's pain level is different. But I don't remember it taking all that long. If I had to guess, I'd say less than a week. 

kathkeb
on 10/23/14 1:20 pm

I was prescribed a narcotic, but I only took liquid extra strength Tylenol because I didn't think I could swallow pills that big.

I really had very little pain.

I also got a 50 page binder filled with pre op and post op instructions.

My band was not filled at the time of surgery.

I had a wound check/follow up at 10 days post op (surgery was on a Friday, follow up was the Monday after I had a week off).

At that point, I was released to return to work, my short term disability ended and I was allowed to begin cardio exercise besides walking.

I got my first fill at about 3 or 4 weeks post op, and had follow ups every 4-6 weeks for the first year.

Kath

Kate -True Brit
on 10/22/14 6:10 pm - UK

As Bette says. And it is too long ago for me to remember details but I am pretty sure I just kept drink by me and sipped all day long! 

You don't have a new stomach to stretch! Water goes straight through the band and unless you have a major problem can't build up above the band. So don't worry about drinking too much- just take it slowly until swelling goes down. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active