RNY 10/14/2014 ** I can NOT make myself drink another Protein Shake... HELP?

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 4:43 am

I don't know what to do? I can not drink another protein shake when I get it to my mouth I gag. I know I must do this, but I don't have the will power I thought I did. 4 weeks of protein (2prior and 2 since) I just can't is there anyway at all to get protein this early after surgery besides protein shakes what about beans, or crab meat (soft), or cheese or eggs? I just can't do another protein shake?

poet_kelly
on 10/27/14 4:54 am - OH

You'll have a hard time eating enough to get your protein in through food only at this stage.

Try some different protein shakes.  Go out to Vitamin Shoppe or GNC and get some bottles of clear protein drinks such as Isopure and Cytomax ready to drink.  They are more like Gatorade than a shake.

Check out the protein ice cream recipes on theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com.  It's basically a frozen protein shake.  Helped me a lot when I was really sick of protein shakes.

Get some unflavored protein powder and put a scoop in a dish on your kitchen counter every morning.  Try adding a pinch to everything you eat all day.  You won't taste just a pinch in your food but by the end of the day you'll have gotten an extra 20 grams or so.  Try adding protein powder to things like Greek yogurt, sugar free pudding, creamy soups, even unsweetened applesauce.

Try freezing protein shakes in popsicle molds for something different.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 5:02 am

Oh my gosh I was reluctant to post because I felt like such a loser. Thank you so much for that info I am going to try some of these immediately. I started to cheat and I can really tell a difference in how I feel now. I am a complete mess. I go for my two week tomorrow and I am going to have to tell him, how I thought I was prepared for this and I just am not. :( I think I need to go to a counselor as well because my issues I didn't realize I had with food are starting to show up.

poet_kelly
on 10/27/14 5:05 am - OH

Make an appointment with a counselor as soon as you can, then.  If you think you need one, you probably do, and getting that help as soon as possible is going to make this journey much easier for you.  I think a lot of people mistakenly assume their food issues will go away with surgery and then we discover that operating on our stomachs doesn't change our heads.  You're definitely not alone there.  But get the help you need to deal with those things because those issue will probably just get more pronounced as time goes on if you don't deal with them.

I am pretty sure you're doctor has heard this from patients before.  He's supposed to be there to help you with your problems.  So just be honest with him.  And let him know what you're doing to deal with them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jazzycatz
on 10/27/14 5:18 am - Joppa, MD

Kelly gave you the best advice. I will only add another resource for shake ideas. Google bariatricfoodie and take a peek at her blog. She has a lot of different protein shake recipes to try out. It's amazing what jazzing them up can do sometimes.

Don't be ashamed. It happens. I hated the things. It was a rough time. You'll get through it.

Kate -True Brit
on 10/27/14 5:43 am - UK

With my doctor's and nutritionist's blessing, I never had a protein shake. I made a basic soup, stirred in chick peas/.lentils/soya beans for protein, blended to the correct consistency. Not quite as high protein as a chemical protein shake! But much nicer!

But I did have to drink a bit more to make sure I got enough protein but luckily that wasn't a problem for me. I don't know which surgery you have had but for me (banded) taking in the extra calories was fine as I always had around 1000 cal a day. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Trouble1391011
on 10/27/14 5:54 am

I have never had a protein shake either.  I don't like them and never have.  My Drs office said you don't have to have them and they havn't seen any difference in patients that have drank them vs ones that haven't.

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 5:56 am

How do you get your protein in then?

Trouble1391011
on 10/27/14 6:12 am

The diet is only for the first 6 weeks and then I will get it in with meat.  My meal plan from the get go, even if I was a protein shake drinker, was NO protien shakes after the first 2 weeks.  I eat eggs, tuna, beans and that kind of food for now... But once this next 3 week**** I will go back to eating meat to get my protein in.

Megank1147
on 10/27/14 6:25 am

What surgery did you have? I am only asking so many questions because I want to do what you are doing, but I don't think I can? I had the RNY on 10-14-2014 what did you have and when?

Most Active