recipe help

pebtash
on 12/19/14 10:21 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

Does anyone have any good recipes for using the unflavored nectar for shake or to mix in with anything without artificial sugar. I am having a reaction to the "fake" sugar it's causing lots of problems for me. I have seen using the unflavored nectar in hot items gets tiny clumps. If I blend it then it is too foamy. The only suggestion I've heard so far is try using some banana with milk. I'm also still of full liquids for 3 more days then I graduate to cheese, eggs, and white fish. Thanks in advance.

Eggface
on 12/19/14 11:12 pm, edited 12/19/14 11:13 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Are you sure it's the artificial sweetener... maybe the milk (a lactose issue) maybe a little experimenting with a milk change (either switch soy, lactose free, etc.) I'm gathering the Nectar itself is sweetened with an artificial sweetener (most protein powders are sucralose, acesulfame-K, aspertame look for something like that in the ingredient list) which is why I mention trying the milk change... a lot of WLSers at least for a time become lactose intolerant. If it is the sweeteners I think Nectar has a natural line. I know there are a few at the health food store for sure. I like Lean Body that's hippie sugars (monkfruit, cane juice, I call them hippie sugars.)

Hope the info helps. 

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

hollykim
on 12/20/14 3:52 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 20, 2014 at 6:21 AM Pacific Time, pebtash wrote:

Does anyone have any good recipes for using the unflavored nectar for shake or to mix in with anything without artificial sugar. I am having a reaction to the "fake" sugar it's causing lots of problems for me. I have seen using the unflavored nectar in hot items gets tiny clumps. If I blend it then it is too foamy. The only suggestion I've heard so far is try using some banana with milk. I'm also still of full liquids for 3 more days then I graduate to cheese, eggs, and white fish. Thanks in advance.

I believe I have mentioned in reply to anoth post of yours just like this ,that it could be lactose intolerance but you seem fixated on artificial sweeteners. 

The way to keep the protein from clumping is tomix the powder in a small amount of cool liquid,enough to make a slurry,then add the hot. Liquod to that while stirring constantly.

nectar can't be put in a blender,as it will foam. I have had the most luck mixing it inthe blender ball cup,no blender ball and using a fork. Letting it sit a couple of minutes will help it settle too.

pebtash
on 12/20/14 6:47 am
VSG on 11/25/14

I experimented with the milk and the artificial sugar for two days by stopping both. When I added back the sugar I was back in the bathroom. I stopped it again and tried adding milk back and was fine. I was sensitive prior to surgery to the artificial sugar and pretty sure I still am. I'm doing fine with the unsweetened except for the clumping and have found if I mix it with Stonyfield smoothie yogurt it's not bad. I will take the suggestion on mixing it well. I was just wondering if any one has tried the unsweetened in recipes.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 12/20/14 6:50 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Just be sure to tempur it before adding it to something hot.  Mix it first with something cool, then add a bit of the hot fluid -- stir, add more --- just like if you are adding an egg to something hot.  It works great if you do that.

HTH!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/14 8:57 am, edited 12/20/14 8:57 am

How about Stevia?  It is a natural, 0 calorie sweetener. I use organic liquid stevia. 

There are a lot off protein powders that are swettened with Stevia.  Try About Time Whey Isolate. They sell samples  on their web site. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

pebtash
on 12/21/14 4:27 am
VSG on 11/25/14

Thanks I'll look into that. Another day without the sugar and doing much better. I'm going back to the Nutritionist Tuesday and hoping she will give me more information about what to try. Thanks for the help. How does the About Time Whey Isolate taste?

Most Active