Surgery didn't work

ladygodiva1228
on 1/10/15 6:30 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Lora I can ask him this week when I go to my appointment.  I have been his patient for 11 years and in that time he said the BAND is the only WLS that he has seen patients fail with early on.  That is one of the reasons he doing away with putting the band in. 

He also has stated that revision surgery from band to either sleeve or bypass can have a slower weightloss,  but he has never said that either the sleeve or rny has never worked for a person.  He is a very knowledgeable surgeon and cares very much about his patients success early on and years down the road. 

If a patient doesn't follow the plan and does not inform him as to what they have been doing there isn't much he can do to help them. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/10/15 7:12 am - OH

Yeah, I would be very surprised to fins that he had, indeed, told someone that sometimes the surgery just fails (especially when they are only 2 weeks out!).  

One of the woman I met in a Yahoo WLS group had him as her surgeon and he seemed to be very knowledgeable, did a good job with patient education, etc.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Life Rediscovered
on 1/10/15 11:29 pm - MA

I don't know if you realize how provocative your post was.  Coming here after 2 weeks and declaring that it

did not work out, surely will elicit strongly felt emotions, especially with long term VETS.  They have seen people like you fail, again and again.

I am 2 years out and would never have posted such an irresponsible comment at 2 weeks.  To the people who are defending you:  are you really trying to help the OP?  How are your comments helpful to her?  She needs to know the truth if she has any chance of succeeding.

MyLady Heidi
on 1/10/15 11:42 pm

No I have never of heard of anyone losing no weight unless their was some serious complication like a fistula. You will lose some weight, maintenance or regain are up to you.  But to make this work forever you need to change everything about the way you were eating.

Sparklegigi
on 1/12/15 9:44 pm - La Verne, CA

I remember thinking that my surgery didnt work because I came out of surgery STARVING.  I am 5 years out and I can eat a lot.  I did lose my weight, gained 70 back, now on WW and lost 25, need to lose 25 more.  I am sure you have a little pouch that your dr. made, but this surgery is not the holy grail, you still have to watch what you eat and exercise right away.  Try to get it out of your head that it didnt work and best of luck to you. 

manders7
on 1/13/15 11:48 pm

I felt that same way when I came out of surgery.  I remember telling my parents that I was hungry.  LOL.  This year I will celebrate my 9 year surgiversary!  In my immediate post-op days I followed the plan to the book.  I was successful.  No complications and over 120 lbs flew off my body.  I worked hard at exercising though too.  With work/family hardships in the past few years I regained 30 lbs.  I attribute this mainly to stress and making excuses for myself.  It is very easy to fall back on old habits, especially when life gets really hard.  But we made this life-long committment to our health and we all know what we need to do.  Little changes for me have made a lot of difference.  Good luck to you on WW, I had some success with WW in the past.  I've been able to curb my stress and getting rid of those bad little habits again and I'm starting to feel really good!  Good luck!

Amanda  
Gastric bypass RNY
5/8/2006 - Dr. James Koren
290 initial/165 goal

caseycc
on 1/13/15 4:36 am

I too had banded in the 90s which I lost almost 100 and eventually regained.  I had the VGB revision and was told revisions are not as successful.  The patient knows the cheats and work-arounds the second time around.  They are not as afraid as a newbie to try to push limits.  I have to say with the band, I often vomited after eating, it was so tricky to know where my limit was.  It became a part of my life.  But once I had the VGB the vomiting went away magically.  I lost 70 lbs. but then as time and life's stressors went on I regained a lot back.  I became ill and a Physicians Assistant at my gastroenterologist suggested I may be celiac or gluten sensitive.  I read up on it and my crazy all over the place symptoms fell in that diagnosis, but giving up gluten - bread, pizza, etc?  plus gluten is in everything from the weigh****chers frozen meal at lunch to some salads, depending on their ingredients.  At first I refused to give up a whole food group - we all know how that works with diets.  Then I read somewhere, online maybe, that a lot of people with weight loss surgery are gluten intolerant, they are not sure if they were before or after.  Chicken and the egg concept.  So I decided to give it a try.  I went gluten free, at first incorporating the aisle of gluten free goodies at my grocery store.  Then I read that they are much like lo-fat or low-sugar versions of other foods, they add more sugar or fat or something to compensate for lack of flavor and gluten.  So I considered those foods "processed foods" and now only eat gluten free bread in moderation.  Right now I say I "eat clean" more than eat gluten free.  That means I eat foods on the outside perimeter of the grocery store.  Fresh fruits and veggies, fish, meat, dairy (although I cut back on that with some digestive issues).  I will eat plain frozen veggies.  No processed foods like frozen meals lean cuisine.  I do get Alexia frozen sweet potato fries (hardly processed at all), and occasionally I will buy a gluten free gravy or pizza.  I LOST 45 LBS WITHOUT DIETING within a matter of months!!!  I think part of it was the gluten/fat belly effect and part was I was now eating clean.  It was easy to come off and easy to keep off.  At first it was difficult determining gluten free, especially when eating out, but most restaurants have a gluten free menu.  If my disability allowed and I was able to move around more/exercise I think I would drop more.  Sadly, it did not cure my health woes, except for the feeling of having a heart attack when I ate gluten.  But I do feel better.  The most difficult thing is when hubby brings home a pizza from the local pizzeria.  I have a great salad that tastes so good, I don't miss the pizza, I treat myself to a salmon salad or get a BBQ Chicken Ranch salad from Wendys (not the best choice, but it's my treat go to).  Good gluten free pizza is hard to find.  I'd like to loose more, but my job offers lunch and whereas before I would grab a great salad bar, now they offer a gluten free lunch, so I'm making choices that are a bit more fattening than salad at lunch just because someone else goes through the trouble of making it (I typically grill meats and roast my veggies, so when work is offering a recipe dish that is gluten free, it's tough to pass up because I know the work that goes into making it!).  I also found out I'm very very very low in Vitamin D, B12.  I was prescribed mega doses and still am on the prescription strength.  One of the benefits of Vitamin D is that it helps you loose weight.  I swear once my levels were up, one week I dropped 10 lbs. without even doing anything different.  I thought the scale needed new batteries!!  I replaced them and it was the same reading.  I put the scale on different floors in different rooms.  I just could not believe it.  If you are low, take vitamin D with a meal with some fat in it for absorption and the B12 - take sublingual (under the tongue) or a shot. 

So, don't give up.  You won't loose as much as a newbie but you can loose, with work and support.  Perhaps work with a nutritionist.  Protein is the key.  Also, my sister-in-law was gaining weight on soy protein shakes, turns out she is allergic to soy, maybe switch if you are doing those.  

vickiclarksmith
on 1/15/15 3:10 pm

Geez - I came in here because I am getting surgery Feb 2. and was looking for info and support.  The arguing back and forth is unreal.  You keep trying one up each other and no-one will give.  Ridiculous.  

stoutts
on 1/16/15 3:50 am

Vicki please don't let people being jerks keep you from getting support.  I'm not a dr-but I'll be d*mned of the people jumping on the bandwagon to beat someone else down. Again-the website is Obesity Help.none of us are perfect.

Chilipepper
on 1/16/15 4:11 am
On January 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM Pacific Time, stoutts wrote:

Vicki please don't let people being jerks keep you from getting support.  I'm not a dr-but I'll be d*mned of the people jumping on the bandwagon to beat someone else down. Again-the website is Obesity Help.none of us are perfect.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active