St. John Wort

beckc22
on 1/27/15 2:41 am

I am a little over 6 years out from RNY. Having no issues with that. Met my goal at about a year out and have kept all of it off except 10lbs which I gained through a pregnancy.

My question is, I have been feeling down and depressed and instead of going on antidepressants I wanted to try St. John's Wort and see if it helped. However I am not sure if it can be absorbed after surgery. Anyone know?

Thank you.

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 3:01 am

depression is no joke, go to your dr, won't even bother with herbs bc it could  interfere with other things. Please get help right away. I s it just post partum/recent delivery?

Gwen M.
on 1/27/15 3:42 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I second the suggestion to talk with a medical professional instead of trying to self-medicate your way out of depression.  Therapy might be a better option for you than medication.  But depression is a killer and not something to mess around with.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 1/27/15 3:53 am - Warren, OH

In Europe, St John's Wort is often prescribed instead of Prozac.  I do believe you need to see a doctor and get the help you need.  Your doctor might be agreeable with the St. John's Wort, but don't do it on your own.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Pokemom
on 1/27/15 4:23 am, edited 1/27/15 4:23 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I do not know about absorption after RNY.  However, a few years ago, my doctor suggested trying St. John's wort for depression. It did not really help the depression overall, but it did help me sleep better, and that helped me in some ways.

I recognize now that my depression was connected to some family dynamics. Possibly, therapy might have helped me deal with some difficult things then, rather than now.

TexasTerritory
on 1/27/15 7:42 am
VSG on 07/22/13
As someone who deals with clinical depression, I highly recommend that you seek medical advice. I had/have a wonderful life but my brain chemicals are screwed up. Took a while to find the right meds to be functional. ... Definitely believe in an objective view to deal with depression.

Most Active