Surgery at the same time as spouse?

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/15 3:01 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

My husband and I are both planning to have VSG (pending insurance approval) this coming April, spaced about 2 weeks apart. Has anyone else had surgery around the same time as their spouse? Do you think it helped or hurt your relationship? I'm glad we'll be able to do this together, but I'm a little worried because I've already made a lot of the necessary life changes, while my husband has been more resistant. He has kept off about 60 lbs in the last 4 years though, so we didn't really have the same starting point when we started our 6-month weight management program in October -- he's always eaten better than I have; his issue is mainly portion control. Just looking for any words of wisdom from anyone who's been in the same boat. Thanks!!  

Valerie G.
on 2/1/15 5:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

My concern would be if one of you has a complication, the other won't be able to assist while they are recovering.  This can be a problem unless you have someone ready to step in.  My recommendation is a month between your surgeries so the one who goes first should be in decent enough shape to care for the other,  and if there are problems, they can always postpone their procedure if need be.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sarah M.
on 2/1/15 3:15 pm, edited 2/1/15 3:15 pm - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

I totally agree with Valerie.  I think you should stagger it so you're both strong and able to support the other.  My husband has been so necessary in these 2 weeks since surgery -- from carrying grocery bags to picking up boxes to driving to taking me to the E.R. when I got kidney stones on day 10, even shaking the shaker when I was too sore to mix up the protein shake.  I would stagger it by 2 months or so.  You'll still be going through it together, but you'll be able to SUPPORT each other much more effectively.

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/15 12:18 am - Portland, OR
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks guys! It was our surgeon *****commended the 2 weeks, but I'll ask him again about whether he thinks we need more time. My mom will be flying out for the first week after my surgery. She's retired and will be able to stay longer if I have any complications or if it looks like I won't be ready to take care of my husband when his time comes.

holbear72
on 2/2/15 4:39 am - Frederick, CO
VSG on 12/15/14

My hubby and I had our VSG's 4 weeks apart. He actually went first because I had to have another surgery 10/28/2014 and had to wait 4 weeks before I could do the VSG. So he had his on 11/17/2014 and I had mine on 12/15/14. IT WAS THE BEST THING for our relationship. My hubby was the same way (maybe it's a guy thing) I was way more prepared than he was. But now that I am 7 weeks out and he is 11 weeks out we can actually have the same meals. We spend our Sundays meal planning for the week and getting all our stuff together. We go to the gym together and have water drinking competitions throughout the day. First one to 80 oz wins. I really think it has strengthened our marriage and I can't imagine just one of us getting it done. My only regret is that we didn't do it 10 years ago!!!

holbear72
on 2/2/15 4:41 am - Frederick, CO
VSG on 12/15/14

Oh and it is wonderful to measure how much closer you can get each week ;)

VSG 12/15/14 ~43 years old ~ 5' 7" ~HW 288, SW 260, CW 192, GW 175. M1 -22, M2 -17, M3 -8, M4 - 11, M5 -5,

Most Active