The Biggest Loser's Dr. Huizenga and ET

Cathy W.
on 1/30/15 3:14 am

Last night on Entertainment Tonight they interviewed a contestant from Season 2 that talked about a number of less than transparent things they do.  Their "weeks" can be up to 20 days is one thing.  I've watched the show periodically but last night will be my last.

TBL's doctor, "Dr. H" (Dr. Huizenga) stated to one of the finalists (Rob) "You didn't choose that distasteful weight loss surgery everyone wants to have."  Distasteful?  He's an authority to be able to make that biased judgement how???  

Consider me disgusted about his distasteful comment.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Y D.
on 1/30/15 3:00 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I heard about that on facebook. What a terrible thing to say. I haven'****ched that show for years but I really liked it when it first came out, because I love transformations. But then I started watching Extreme Weight Loss w/ that Chris Powell guy, and I just liked the feel of that show a lot better, much more positive and I like that there's no competition aspect.

That comment seals the deal for me though... I won'****ch that show again. Even if it was a bad choice of words, the statement itself is still completely out of line.

TheNewT
on 1/30/15 3:13 am
VSG on 08/04/14

Love Chris Powell's show. And not a bad specimen to look at .

Y D.
on 1/30/15 3:31 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Hehe no kidding!!

Cathy W.
on 1/30/15 3:48 am

I agree he was completely out of line.  It is bad enough to say it but to add in the word "distasteful" crossed the line.  

I wrote a message to them and gave them OH.  I encouraged them to check it out to see how many lives have been improved and saved from the distasteful WLS.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Gwen M.
on 1/30/15 4:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's a pretty distasteful show, so I'm not surprised. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/30/15 4:36 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If people had WLS, there would be no "Biggest Loser" television show.   Since it pays him a great deal to participate, no surprise that he would bash WLS.

And Gwen's right, it's a distasteful and unrealistic show.  I find it highly exploitative and can't stand to watch it.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Amy M.
on 1/30/15 9:18 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

This is really disappointing to me.  I actually like "The Biggest Loser" because I love transformations and they promote healthy living and they show the world that obesity isn't just about overeating it's also a mental and emotional problem.  To hear that remark really makes me not want to watch the show anymore.  Earlier in the season Bob said something about Lap-Band surgeries never working because it only fixes the physical and not the mental and emotional aspects of weight loss.  I was willing to accept that comment but I can't accept Dr. H's comment.

Eggface
on 1/30/15 11:56 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I don'****ch the show... health and battling the chronic disease of obesity is not a game...  ex-contestants have come out sharing all the dangerous methods they use to make them lose in the name of ratings. It's not inspiring to me, it's sad or dare I say... distasteful ;) 

P.S. He's on twitter ;) you can tell him to sod off: https://twitter.com/theclinicbydrh 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

carlacc
on 1/30/15 1:24 pm - Walkerton, IN

I have been watching biggest looser from the start. Dr H's  comment shocked and offended me. I will never watch it again.

Live Today, and Dream of Tomorrow

Most Active