PCP didn't want to give me a referral for the surgeon

Modest_Phoenix
on 2/12/15 7:10 pm

Hello,

Has anyone had problems getting a referral from their PCP to see a bariatric surgeon? On Thursday I had my second month appointment for supervised weight loss with her and she was very uncomfortable giving me a referral. She flat out said she didn't like the idea of cutting into people unless it was necessary.  Since I lost 10 pounds in six weeks she felt that I would be OK just doing diet and exercise.  So I told her my history with that and how I can't seem to get down past 170 pounds no matter what I do and I always feel hungry and I always gain it back and then some.  The surgeon won't take appointments until a referral comes from the PCP. She finally acquiesced when I told her I needed to talk with the surgeon to find out if I even wanted to do surgery or what surgery I would want if I go that route.  I'm really disappointed with her reaction. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/12/15 8:02 pm

New PCP if you need. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Poodlemac
on 2/12/15 8:19 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I was suprised how little my other doctors knew about WLS. My endocrinologist said if I just became vegan I wouldn't have weight/health problems. Really?  I get that, but I also get its just not that easy!  My stomach doc had bits and pieces (very few!) of info. and my GP at the time went so far as to say "be sure to get the (unintelligible name) surgery". She was giving her opinion, but recommending a surgery that didn't exist!  God love her!!  

JENI1166
on 2/12/15 8:43 pm - Belleville, IL

I was really surprised at how quickly my Dr. gave me my referral.  However, she is all for putting my diabetes in remission..

SW 221  CW 209 GW 140 surgery date 2/17/2015. RNY gastric bypass

VSG on 06/12/13

My PCP at the time was the one who advised me to do the surgery. He eventually went into emergency medicine and I had a new PCP who spent the entire appointment asking me how VSG was different from RNY, how it worked, what it was like, etc. uh, aren't you supposed to KNOW something about this already? 

I switched docs after that appointment.

laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 2/12/15 9:37 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Do a lot these doctors even keep up with statistics. Less then 5% keep it off without surgery. Over 80% keep it off with WLS. How can they ignore these numbers? So it is not necessary to help you lose weight and save your life?

TheNewT
on 2/12/15 9:41 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

If you don't have a full team supporting you in place, I would replace some members. I'm glad she finally gave you the referral! However, you may need her in the future for blood draws or some questions regarding your health. If she doesn't want to play "nice" on your team them kicker her to the curb.

My OB-GYN was pushing me to do surgery. He would've had me on the table months before I made the decision for myself, LOL! My PCP was on the team too. He was happy to get me any test I needed to ensure the surgery was approved. They knew it was important to my health to get this weight off.

Poodlemac
on 2/12/15 10:42 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Thankfully, I didn't need a referral but I was looking for some advice. In the long run, the best advice was from WLS patients and my wonderful surgeon!

Cathy W.
on 2/12/15 10:56 pm

My PCP was not supportive when I needed his referral for WLS.  I put together information on WLS in a binder and wrote a letter to him explaining why this was important to me and my future.  I dropped it off at his office and made an appointment to see him in two weeks.

At the second appointment, he was out sick and had another doctor seeing his patients.  The second doctor agreed with me and gave me the referral.  

This was a unique (luck) situation.  If that hadn't happened, I was going to change PCPs in order to get a referral and move forward with WLS.

Good luck!

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Tracy D.
on 2/12/15 11:30 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

These PCPs that act as the "gatekeeper" of surgeon referrals REALLY **** me off!  Them and their god-damned God complexes.  She should trust the surgeon - one of her peers! - to properly evaluate you and determine if you are or are not a good candidate for the surgery.  

Glad you stood up for yourself and got what you needed!  I would be asking the surgeon for a referral to another PCP that is more supportive and understanding. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active