How much weight did you lose before any one noticed?

Willie H.
on 2/27/15 10:26 pm
VSG on 08/26/14

Ha, ha.  It was enjoyable to read-and weren't we all made assumptions about because of our weight-we're "just lazy, we eat too much, we have no self-esteem, your face looks good, etc"  whether true or not isn't it great to be able to talk about just nonchalant things in a dismissive way? ALL part of what made us what we are today. Thanks.

Vertical Gastric Sleeve-(8/26/14)HW 347lbs SW-328lbs CW-247 lbs  GW-212lbs Randolph,                                                                                       "LOVE" is knowing someone has the power to hurt you, yet TRUST that they won't"  "Sing like no one's listening and dance like no one's watching!!"

Gwen M.
on 2/27/15 7:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My starting weight was 318 and it took a good 60-80 pounds before people started commenting.  Which was fine - I don't want my body to be a topic of conversation anyway!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

IWANT2BEHEALTHY
on 2/27/15 7:56 am
VSG on 03/16/15

Well nobody noticed my weight loss yet. I will let you know when someone asks me if I lost weight. I lost 100 lbs the last time before anyone noticed.

Ht:6'5 Start weight 427, surgery weight=362 current weight 238 goal weight unsure?

vdubmomma
on 2/27/15 8:51 am
VSG on 12/31/14

I just had the first person comment last week, and that was after losing 58 lbs.   I noticed someone do a double take a couple weeks ago, but she didn't say anything.   I wondered if she was afraid it would be rude to mention my weight.  

Ihavechosetolife
on 2/27/15 8:56 am

I wasnt expecting people to notice that didnt know about my surgery til I was at around 75 pounds lost because of where I started. Well, only a couple of people noticed at 100 pounds lost,  I just hit 126 pounds lost 3 days ago and in the past 2 weeks sooooooo many people have noticed and said something.  While I dont want it to be the focus on every conversation, and I dont want to only talk about me, I was very hurt that none of the teachers at my sons school noticed at 100 pounds, I mean my son is in 5th grade and has been in the school since 1st and I spend quite a bit of time there. Anyways, I cant express to you how much it meant to me when people started to say something, so far I have been lucky, everyone that has mentioned it have been sooo very supportive and proud of me, and I have been lucky that most of them havent asked me oh how did you do it, what are you eating etc, because that can be difficult too.  I had the best day last Friday when the lady at the gas station where I go to about 3x a month made a comment on how great I looked and how happy I looked, and this isnt someone I have ever had a real conversation with, she was so happy for me and it felt good to be around someone so genuine ( after I left, I thought wow I wish I would have thought to say, yeah I used to come in here at least a few times a week buying quick junk food ) So I had surgery on 7/15/14 which is 7 + months ago, I started at 398 and NOW I weigh 272. Gee and in May I at my highest weight I was 422. It has been so exciting to go from the 4's, to the 3's to the 2's. All in all I have lost 150 pounds, it is so crazy how much I have lost, but let me tell you I have GAINED soooo much, I'm finally starting to love myself, I dont hide from mirrors and  I can do so much more physical activities with my son. Congratulations on your weight loss and I wish you the best on your journey, I know it can be frustrating at times but believe me it WILL come. Remember why you are doing this if your like me, I was afraid I was going to die and leave my son alone and I got to the point that I could barely walk/couldnt work and had tons of co morbidities etc and I just wanted to LIVE and get healthy I have never been at a healthy weight, I started to gain when I was 11. Sure I want to look good too, but I have tried so hard to remember all of the reasons why I'm doing this. BTW OMG it feels so amazing to be able to purchase clothing that I actually like, for years I wore stuff just because it fit, my only regret is that I didnt do this sooner.......... Sorry for the super long reply, reading your post brought so many flooding thoughts.

JfromLA
on 2/27/15 9:07 am
VSG on 09/01/14

Sigh... I've lost 190 pounds and finally someone asked this week, if I lost a couple of pounds 

VSG 09/01/2014 HW 550 SW 550 CW 272 GW 170

Ihavechosetolife
on 2/27/15 9:13 am

Congratulations JfromLA you are amazing wowzers, you are doing fantastic.  I'm sorry to read your post,  keep up the great work and remember it will come. I know it's easier said then done, I too was flabergasted to say the least that certain people hadnt said anything yet. I just keep trying to stay on track and try to remind myself everyday where I'm headed and where I CAME from.  Good luck to you on your journey YOU should be SO PROUD of yourself.

JfromLA
on 2/27/15 9:19 am
VSG on 09/01/14

Thanks, IhavechosetolifeI used to only focus on the pounds to lose rather than the pounds lost. But now, I try to not think about the scale just nutrition and exercise.

VSG 09/01/2014 HW 550 SW 550 CW 272 GW 170

shakeitoff
on 2/27/15 10:24 am
VSG on 03/09/15

Thank you all so much for replies.  I went to the closet to the jeans( I refused to throw away because some day I would wear them again) pile and well after wearing the 3x and 4x elastic pants i could slide in a 26w and zip them and still breath, bend over and sit without any buttons turning into a missile.  We'll see how changing sizes does for me.  I'm guessing it was last spring since u got in a pair of jeans!  I was still wear the same pants I wore at 384 although they were baggy.

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/15 2:04 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I agree with the comments about the more you weigh, the more you have to lose before people notice. I haven't had surgery yet but started my 6-month preop process in October at just over 300 lbs. Around 265, my boss started to notice and comment, but she knew of my plan for surgery. It was around 250, with 50 or so lbs dropped, that other people started to notice. Some people I'm sure just won't comment because someone else's weight is none of their business, but hearing "you look great!" or "you're shrinking!" from some of the cardiac rehab nurses I work with felt particularly good.    For a dose of cultural relativism though, another coworker, who's an immigrant from Eritrea, asked me the other day, "you look like you've lost weight. Are you sick?"

Most Active