Has it really been 7 years? So much has happened

Mico104
on 3/2/15 11:10 pm - United Kingdom

I thought I would come back and give you an update.  It has now been 7 years and weight wise I have had my ups and downs....quite literally I'm afraid!  I have also had a divorce and a new marriage as well as starting my own business which is somewhat related to weight loss.

I'm currently back at around a size 14 uk or 10 US, which to be honest, is where im comfortable.  I did gain some of the weight back for absolutely no reason after my divorce (divorce is quite common after weight loss.  When we begin to get our self steam back, often, our partners don't like it).  I put it down to the immense stress I was under.   I begun feeling so tired I could hardly function.  I went to the doctor and my tests came back normal.  I then insisted on thyroid medication and guess what?  Within a week I was back to normal.  BUT then I began thinking and the fact is that I have been underactive ALL MY LIFE! My sister agrees.  In fact, shes the one that made me go tell my doctor that I didn't care what the test said, I was underactive.  I have now lost 22 in the last year and a half without really doing anything different.  

For me the band, which is now very loose, gave me some control over my weight.  I didnt know back then that in fact I was very ill with an underactive thyroid, but the weight still came off...the only problem is that it went back on for no reason (though I never went back to pre band weight)...which Im sure a lot of you here can relate to.  My band, even loose, still keeps me from being overly hungry, I now enjoy food but not in the quantities I had before.  In Europe we eat smaller portions and walk a lot more so over all the life style is healthier.

After my divorce I also had to start my own business.  I discovered a cure for stretch marks and in fact do very well out it, I even have a practice in the very prestigious Harley St in London.

My marriage fell apart not because of the band but because my husband was just like my mother.  They were both narcissist and its not unusual for victims of child abuse to marry into the same situation because our boundaries are so bad.  I didn't want that for my children and so I threw him out.  I have since re married a wonderful man who is kind and loving.  His support and that of his family has been the key to my success.  I had my detox year where I simply went no contact with all the toxic people in my life.  It has been wonderful.

Having been through the process, I have to wonder how many undiagnosed underactives there are on here like myself.  Google the symptoms and don't let the doctors tell you that the test are fine.  If you are cold and tired all the time chances are you are.  Loosing weight being under-active is nearly impossible.  I clearly remember people saying to my mother when I was a child that I didn't eat in the amount to justify my weight and my mother would just ignore them.  I clearly remember people telling her that I was probably underactive and her making a joke about it.  Heaven forbid she had to go out of her way to take me to the doctor and actually pay for it.

Still, the band is one of the best things I have ever done for myself. I do still get stuck sometimes, which is a pain, but I rather that than having that huge stomach that I could never fill

gram247
on 3/3/15 12:33 am

Thanks for the update.

you truly are a success story and inspiration! 

Continued good luck.

Kate -True Brit
on 3/3/15 12:36 am - UK

Hi, I remember you! Glad the band is still working gil you, mine is still going well too! Sorry about your marriage but it sounds as if your life is generally good. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Kathy S.
on 3/3/15 1:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thank you for the update and congratulations on taking control of your life!  Be Happy

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

carimary
on 3/3/15 3:51 am

Wonderful and inspiring story.

Most Active