Aplastic Anemia, Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS), or other Bone Marrow Failure due to...

RNY on 03/11/15

Has anyone been diagnosed with Bone Marrow Failure that appears to be directly related to Gastric Bypass?

I am NOT referring to iron deficiency anemia, but specifically bone marrow failure, which is a different type of anemia.

I am scheduled for surgery next week and am starting to freak out because my son recently had to have a bone marrow transplant for bone marrow failure.  There was no known cause and it was never determined if it was genetic.  I am just concerned that the malabsorption of iron, copper and other minerals could potentially “trigger” such a disorder if I am unknowingly genetically predisposed to a hematological disorder.

I already ran this by my surgeon and a top bone marrow transplant doctor and didn’t get any clear answers regarding whether I could be at risk.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/5/15 8:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I have never heard of that being related to gastric bypass, and I don't see how it could be related. You can be deficient in vitamins and minerals if you don't take them regularly. But as far as damaging your bone marrow, I can't see how.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/5/15 11:53 am

How could it be? I do not understand how vitamin deficiencies could be a trigger for marrow disorders. If they were, many more people would have to worry.

You may be drawing a correlation where none exists. Sometimes things have no known cause.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 3/5/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

Thanks for your replies. Here is one article that goes into more detail about how bypass can trigger hematological disorders beyond simple iron or vitamin deficiency.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2013/205467/

I wanted to post the question in case anyone had experience with a more serious disorder. So far, I am relieved about the lack of anyone responding that they have.

trevordd
on 3/5/15 6:30 pm, edited 3/5/15 6:30 pm

Stem therapy is a really great ways to treat a huge number of diseases. From liver cirrhosis to Myelodysplasia... There are already some clinics like UCTC which have successfully implemented such a treatment method. It works really great.

Most Active