Here's the lowdown 2 weeks post op

luxurycouture
on 3/6/15 8:01 am

Just a little update since my VSG Surgery on February 17. I hope I'm doing everything right. I'm always nervous that I'm not.

I haven't had any issues keeping food down and I never have really dealt with nausea since having surgery.

CHALLENGES 

I find that getting my protein in can be a challenge. I loathe the protein shakes so I stopped drinking them for about 5 days and made up the protein as much as possible with egg beaters and cod. It am going to try the isopure zero carb drinks to see if I like them better. They are fruity, as opposed to the sweet milkshake types that seem to be popular. They're expensive, so that's a drawback. Any suggestions? I'd love to hear about thinner drinks that aren't a dessert flavor. 

One of the worst things for me has been the medication. Some of my prescriptions are capsules and my instructions are to open the capsule and pour the powder in my mouth and swallow. Gross. My gallbladder pill is disgusting. It's filled with so much powder. Like 1.5 teaspoons. I pour it on yogurt or applesauce, but it still is so gross. And I can't wa**** down with water because you can't eat and drink at the same time. I just want to swallow the capsule. 

WEIGHT LOSS

Since my preop appointment on Feb 3, I have lost 20+ pounds. I was on a 12 day post op liquid diet from Feb 4-Feb 17, and I think I lost about 10 pounds on that. So 17 days post op, I have lost 11.5 pounds. I feel like that's not that much post op. My weigh has fluctuated within 1.5 lbs  in the last 4-5 days, but I can't seem to get under 270.5.   

EXERCISE

Well, I have been snowed in here in the north east so going out for a walk hasn't been an option. That being said, I re-joined the gym on Monday and have been 3 times since. I am doing 25-30 min of walking and 10  min biking. I also am doing circuit training so I can keep my muscles up, but I am taking it easy so I don't overdo it. 

Hopefully I see a change on the scale as a result of my exercise efforts  

FOOD

Contrary to other members' reports, I get hungry several times a day. I can tolerate up to 4 oz of food at a time. I am still experiencing the crazy growling and gurgling when I eat. Sup with that?

I get nervous that I am able to eat too much. I am not going over my calories (800), but I have this fear that if I am able to tolerate such big portions now, this will just keep increasing. 

My typical day consists of 650-700 calories a day and 50-60 grams of protein. Water intake is about 40 ounces a day if I really try. I feel like I am constantly eating so then I neglect to drink enough water. Going to make a serious effort moving forward  

Anyway, this could be the most boring post ever, but I want to outline what I am doing to see if there is any advice from the vets to do better. Any info or advice is appreciated!

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

Chilipepper
on 3/6/15 10:13 am

Try Syntrax Nectar proteins. They are fruity and very popular. I love the lemon tea one. Vanilla bean torte is the bomb. You can get them at The Vitamin Shoppe or online cheaper.  Little more expensive at the Vitamin Shoppe but they have a great return policy   You don't like it you can return it  

Have you been cleared to do all that exercise? You better double check with your surgeon. Most are not cleared for that kind of exercise until 6 weeks postop. You are still healing internally. 

The more water you get in the more you will lose.  It flushes your kidneys and keeps you from dehydrating.  I would up your water. 

The protein intake is great. 

The gurgling could be Gerd.  Are you on a PPI? 

Also at this point there is no reason you can't swallow your meds. Forget that opening capaule stuff. If you can swallow food you can swallow a pill 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 3/6/15 10:13 am

Ps. Good Job!!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Valerie G.
on 3/6/15 1:26 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm not a shrimp fan, but I've heard that they are very easy to get down and a great protein source.  My go-to's were egg custard and ricotta cheese.  They were both easy to eat and packed with protein.

I could never do what you're doing with meds.  I was taking horse pills the day I came home.  It was slow...one at a time..but I did it by filling my mouth first with fluid, then dropping the pill in and swallowing it all together.  I didn't even feel the pill.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

NikkyBeauty
on 3/6/15 7:41 pm - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

I've found the easiest way to get my nasty disgusting multivitamin with iron that I have to take 3xs a day down is to just open it, and pour it directly into my mouth,hold my nose and down it! Quick and fast! I couldn't bare mixing it any longer in applesauce or jello it was so over powering and just gross I would gag with every bite! 

As as for me I have not been hungry at all so I only eat to get extra protein I have the same issue with the gurgling and bubbly noise too I just had my 2 week pre op appointment yesterday I was told that is from eating too fast or taking to big of a bite, the bite should be no bigger than a pencil eraser! 

And good job on the exercising! I haven't been cleared for another 3weeks to go to the gym I can't wait! I'm not a vet but I just had surgery too so I hope maybe the pill stuff was helpful! 

HW: 465lbs SW: 387lbs CW:??? GW:175

luxurycouture
on 3/6/15 9:44 pm

Good to know! Yes, the pills are gross. My vitamins are chewable and aren't too bad. They taste fruity. 

Our time lines are close. How has your weight loss been?

Life is what happens to you while you?re busy making other plans. ?John Lennon

NikkyBeauty
on 3/7/15 6:05 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Now I wonder why I can't have a chewable? I have to buy my vitamins from the bariatric center I go too and they are expensive! But anyhow.

5 days out I had to go to the ER had some issues everything was fine, but went up 3lbs I was like wtf!! But it was from the fluids,gas and bloating. But as of Thursday 2/5/15 im down 13.5 lbs I too was like meeh" but I guess that's good for 10 days. I'm eating about 400 calories a day I don't even like eating anymore  I'm sure that will change when I move to soft foods and solid! I have a long way to go I have like 200 excess lbs to lose but so far I lost 55lbs pre op and now 13.5 post op so that's a total of 68.5 in total.

robinreinhardt
on 3/7/15 6:20 am

Good job Nikky! You rock.

Robin

NikkyBeauty
on 3/7/15 11:10 am - Sacramento , CA
VSG on 02/18/15

Thank you Robin 

NikkyBeauty
on 3/7/15 7:17 am - Sacramento , CA