waiting for approval and a date

tink929
on 3/18/15 4:21 am

Hi, I am new here.  Started the process for the Gastric Sleeve in Jan 2015, had my last appointment Mar 4, 2015, and found out my paperwork was just submitted to the insurance company Mar 16, 2015.  Hoping for approval and a April 2015 surgery date!  I have BC/BS NJ.  How long did it take for you to receive approval/date?

Thanks!!!

Tink929

41yo female

5'4 217 (37 BMI, High BP and High Cholesterol)

christinerocks
on 3/18/15 4:48 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Hi there! I'm on a very similar schedule, though I've selected Bypass RNY.  

first appointment in January, final nutrition consult 3/12.  My paperwork has not yet been submitted, but hopefully today (sigh!).  I have Aetna MC (New York).  We are hoping for a 4/6 date.  Aetna commits to a response within 10 working days so if my paperwork is submitted today I will have an answer no later than 4/1. I've read they usually review within 48 to 96 hours, but there is really no way of predicting.  

Crossing fingers for you! Please do the same for me!  

Christine

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

tink929
on 3/18/15 5:40 am

Thanks!  48-96 hours would be great!!!  The BC/BS of NJ website says may take up to 30 days....I'm hoping it won't be that long!  It will be a little easier to wait once I know the approval is done!  Please let me know when you receive approval!  Good luck!

T

christinerocks
on 3/18/15 6:12 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Oh I will believe it when I see it! :-) Aetna does promise a response in 10 days officially so I am hoping for the best.  Like you the biggest hold up has been my surgeon's office. They have been working on my pa me for a few weeks and haven't submitted it yet.  I hound them daily.  My surgeons coordinator is going to be sick of me but we have to do what we have to do.  

Good of luck and keep me posted too! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

TheNewErica
on 3/18/15 9:46 am

I started in January for Gastric Sleeve too! I have my appointment tomorrow to get final papers together, then submitting to insurance. I have United Healthcare NY- it's a little nerve wracking! Lol! Maybe we will all be right around the same time? That would be nice! Good luck! Can't wait to hear your good news! :)

rhon1017
on 3/19/15 12:28 am - Gastonia, NC

I have BCBS NC and the wait was 72 hours.  I got approval yesterday.  Now the doctor has to review my chart again to confirm he doesn't need anything else, then I will get my surgery date from another person and start my 2 weeks liquid diet and then another person will re-verify benefits, confirm surgery date with the insurance company and let me know how much I owe up front.

I'm like "Just give me a date"!!!

tink929
on 3/21/15 8:45 am

So I got my letter today (Saturday). Paperwork was submitted to insurance company on Monday. They are unable to make a decision until all paperwork is received. I'm not sure what it is they need, I sent everything requested. I guess I need to follow up with the surgeons office and see what was submitted and the insurance company for what they are missing.  

ugh... I was really hoping for an April date, now Im worried I won't even get approved... 😞

Most Active