Surgery under 100 pounds

familyof6
on 3/20/15 12:45 am

BMI of 37,hoping to loose 90 lbs for ideal weight.....For me it wasn't about losing as much as it is about keeping it off. I have lost 50-65 lbs 3 times in the last 10 years and gained it all back.....this is a tool for life.   BUT if you feel you can do it on your own,you should do it....surgery should be last option.That being said.....VSG was the best thing I ever did for myself :))))

GenieR
on 3/20/15 12:58 am

familyof6

Thanks  so much for your reply my doctor thought I should have the bypass when I wanted the sleeve but now  I'm thinking I want the sleeve. I thank you also for your information it surly helped.  First of all, this surgery mainly was for my health issues and the weight lose  was the cherry on top of the cake but now after seeing how losing the weight can help my health issues, I guess they go hand in hand don't they. I could never do what I have done so far or be as strong and keep at this if it wasn't for each & everyone  of you on this site. Thank you for  your help & understanding. God Bless

(deactivated member)
on 3/20/15 12:03 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm in a very similar boat! I got really serious about changing my eating habits when I started my 6-month (really 7-month) process in October. I started with a BMI over 50 and it's now under 40, but I have DMII, hypertension, and OSA, so I still have 5 BMI points of "wiggle room." I had a lot of long discussions with my dietitian, doctors, and therapist about if I still want to go through with surgery. I flip-flopped for a few weeks. But eventually, for me it came down to two factors. 1) I've done this before -- this is the third time I've lost a significant amount of weight since I was 18. I know I can lose weight; what I can't do is keep it off on my own. 2) The only reason I got the motivation to try again after two past failures was because I knew I would eventually have this extra tool in my arsenal. And let me tell you, it hasn't been fun trying to justify that decision to everyone I know. A well-meaning coworker congratulated me and said, "see that's the way to do it, not with surgery." That stung quite a bit.

Only you can decide if surgery is the route for you. If this is honestly the first time you've ever lost weight on your own, then you may very well be able to stick with the changes you've already made. In fact, most insurances require proof that you've tried to lose weight on your own and failed. I knew I couldn't because it's happened before -- I get down to right around 200, plateau, and lose motivation every time. If I didn't have that history, I don't know if I would have decided to go through with surgery now or not. Do some soul searching, talk to your healthcare providers, and whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck! You're doing great, and you're in a great position to totally rock whichever path you choose.   

GenieR
on 3/20/15 11:36 pm

4FurKids, thank you for your reply you have really made me do a lot of thinking. This is the first time I have lost this much weight on my own and as much as it feels good and as much as I feel determined to stick to this new life; the question still eats at me "Can I continue this without the surgery?" I guess now that the time has finally come to meet with the doctor to get things in motion I'm getting second guessing myself and again allowing others options to play in my head.  I had decided to do this surgery for myself & I have to stop and remember that this is all about ME.  I have never put ME first so this is very hard for me but it's finally time I do. I am sick of the YoYo that my life has been and I do need help. Thank you for your input. I guess I lost track of my first goal of having this surgery was my health and for myself and no one else. God Bless You.

Most Active