Surgery under 100 pounds

GenieR
on 3/19/15 1:38 pm

Has anyone had surgery that was under 100 pounds over weight? I had needed to lose over 100 pounds when I first went to see doctor & now finally seeing doctor for appointment to set up surgery I need to lose less than 100 pounds. I have done everything that I would of have done if I had already had had done the surgery, plus your advice & tips on here helped me much which has helped me lose weight on my own for the first time in my life.  My clothes are falling off of me, I have found new clothes hanging in my closet that I never could wear, and people have noticed my weight loss. I have been working out in a gym, I have cut out one of my insulin's, cut my metformin to once a day instead of twice, plus doctor cut my Lantus back about 6 units.  I am no longer out of breath all the time, I can bend over & tie my shoes now without turning red and not being able to breathe. I have never felt so good thanks to all of you and that is without the surgery so I am confused if I really need the surgery.  I see doctor next Thursday.

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/19/15 1:54 pm

Congratulations on all your hard work paying it's dividends in improved health.  Surgery approval depends on a couple of things - your BMI and your comorbidites, which are conditions had are caused by or made worse by obesity.  If your BMI is 40 or above that should be enough for your to qualify for WLS.  Always check with your insurance company to find out their specific requirements.  A BMI of 35 plus comorbidites is usually also satisfactory to be eligible.  Again, check with your insurance and with your doctor.

I have a BMI under 40 with comorbidites and less than 100 pounds to lose and I qualify for surgery.

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

GenieR
on 3/20/15 12:34 am, edited 3/20/15 12:35 am

Modest_Phoenix

Thanks for your reply & information

zann50
on 3/20/15 2:52 am

Give your new wt loss and lifestyle six-months and reassess yourself.

Zann

VGS- 2015

NYMom222
on 3/19/15 2:04 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

They go by BMI not weight. Some insurance companies from what I hear on these forums go by your weight when you first saw the surgeon, and others go by the day of surgery, even if it is pre-approved. As a diabetic, your BMI would only need to be 35, which could be less than 100lbs depending on your height. I know several people who got a lot of flack from friends because they weren't 'that overweight' who did it because of their diabetes. I don't know your dieting history, but I personally had lost 100lbs numerous times, I just never kept it off. I have a better chance, with watching what I eat and exercise, of keeping it off with surgery.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

GenieR
on 3/20/15 12:38 am

NYMom 222,

Thank you for your reply & information it is very helpful

TexasTerritory
on 3/19/15 5:44 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I am not sure what you are asking. I needed to lose 95 pounds and I had surgery. Best decision ever! Lov my VSG.

birdiegirl
on 3/19/15 11:21 pm

Only you can answer the question "do I need surgery?" 

If it were me - and I was losing weight - and I hadn't lost and re-gained 100 or so pounds in my past - then I would wait on the surgery.

Why not see the doctor and discuss your options?  Surgery will be there if you require it in the future - I wish I had been able to lose and keep it off over the years but I finally had to realize that just dieting wasn't going to work for me.  I needed the malabsorption and restriction to get myself started on a good road to health.

Good luck on your decision

GenieR
on 3/20/15 12:50 am

birdiegirl,

The thing is I had planned on having the surgery but now that I have lost this weight & can fit into clothes I have that I could not wear, and everyone is telling how good I look, plus saying you look so good and doing such I good job you won't need the surgery. I'm so confused again I wish there  wasn't so much time between jumping through all the hoops for the surgery until the time to see the doctor to see if he really will do the surgery now.  It can drive a person crazy, everyone around me is afraid of the surgery and so they don't want me to have it, but if my doctor says he thinks  I should still have it I'm thinking I will listen to my doctor over them. Thanks for your reply and information you surly helped me make my decision & I can't wait to get this over one way or another.

JB1114
on 3/19/15 11:46 pm - Grain Valley, MO

I had less than 100 lbs. to lose, actually 83 lbs.  I had several comorbitities. 

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Most Active