Does Medicare cover tummy tucks?

Youngmom2
on 4/6/15 4:09 am - Canada

I'm looking into a tummy tuck and I'm just curious if Medicare covers or not. If they do does anyone know if they cover out of country work?? Or even blue cross if they cover as well? 

hollykim
on 4/6/15 5:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM Pacific Time, Youngmom2 wrote:

I'm looking into a tummy tuck and I'm just curious if Medicare covers or not. If they do does anyone know if they cover out of country work?? Or even blue cross if they cover as well? 

I thonk Medicare cover a paniculectomy,removing the loose skin,but not a tummy tuck including tightening the muscles. 

I don't think any plan covers plastics out of the country.

Youngmom2
on 4/6/15 5:50 am - Canada

Thank you!!

Maronita
on 4/6/15 11:24 am

If you mean will they cover the removal of the extra skin the answer is it all depends.  Most insurance that cover it requires medical reason for removal (not just to make yourself look better).  If you are having rashes from your skin rubbing against each then they most likely will cover it.  Your doctor can NOT just say that but they usually have to take pictures of you showing the effects of all the extra skin.  Medicare does not cover surgery outside of the country UNLESS it is a true emergency (life and death) or if not life and death but it is an urgent matter like you break your leg and then they will cover it if the closest hospital is in the country (this really only applies to Canada).  If you live in the U.S. near the Canadian border and the closest hospital is in Canada then Medicare will pay for it.

Most Active