getting ready to start my 2 week pre-op diet

tink929
on 4/15/15 4:30 am

Hi All!  My surgery date is May 7, and I am to start my two week pre-op diet on April 23.  I am only allowed protein shakes, water, broth, sugarfree drinks/ popsicles/jello, and nonstartchy vegetables....not a lot.  I am trying to transition by starting to have 2 shakes a day.

I started with the Premeir Protein ready to drink, choc, vanilla and strawberry I got at Costco. 

Any recommendations to help get through this 2 week period?  Shake suggestions?  Other favorites?  What did you like and where did you buy?

Thanks!

Sleeved on 5/7/2015 

Kathy S.
on 4/15/15 4:34 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

WooHoo! We are so excited for you

Congratulations on your surgery date!  

Here are some links to information you may find helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/photographing-your-weigh t-loss-surgery-journey/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/weight-loss-surgery-hosp tial-stay-what-to-pack/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/four-on-the-floor-self-c are-after-weight-loss-surgery/

We can't wait to hear from you post-op!

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Triksy
on 4/15/15 5:09 am
RNY on 05/20/15

Congratulations, you've come so far already, you've got this. I'm just a couple of weeks behind you with a surgery date of May 20th. Keep us posted so we know how it goes.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

Maria27
on 4/15/15 6:31 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

My suggestion is not to drink a single protein shake before April 23. You are going to get so sick of them, and you are going to have to drink them all the time after surgery too. Pre-op diets are so hard, and by drinking shakes ahead of time, you are just going to make it harder in my opinion.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/15 12:23 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Haha, I start my pre-op diet Monday and have been trying to avoid chicken, protein shakes, cottage cheese, and everything else on my approved list because I know I'm gonna get sick of it really quick over the next 2 weeks!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/15/15 8:27 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

If you get burned out on the taste of the protein shakes, try adding one tablespoon of sugar free Jello pudding, a couple of ice cubes and throw it all into a blender.  I liked adding the pistachio to the vanilla and banana cream to ANYTHING.

I still drink a Premier Protein chocolate shake for breakfast five days a week.  And I also bought them at Costco.  

Good luck!  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

christinerocks
on 4/15/15 9:57 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I have to agree with Maria27.  I actually like my shakes and had one a day for breakfast during all of my pre-op (4 months).  But you will get burned out on them during the 2 weeks before and after surgery - when they are all you eat - so, don't push yourself IMO.  Stock up on some SF syrups and flavorings to change things up, and sample the UNJURY chicken soup flavor.  It's a nice change of pace (savory taste) after weeks and weeks of sweet! 

No matter what you do, good luck and congratulations! It's a great gift to give yourself! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

freeradical
on 4/19/15 2:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/01/15

Hi I too am having trouble getting through the pre op diet. I am on the third day of the Optifast shakes but I'm not not allowed anything else but sugar free drinks and broth and 4 shakes a day. I was told originally that I could have 2 cups of vegetables a day. Optifast shakes only come in chocolate and vanilla neither of which I like but when I added instant decaf coffee to them they taste really good.

jmking1982
on 4/19/15 2:58 pm
RNY on 04/15/15

Hi! I just had my surgery on the 15th of April so the optifast is fresh to me. My dietician recommended that I get the vanilla shakes....buy orange crush sugar free single packets (like the ones for crystal light but crush makes one down the same aisle) and add a dab of vanilla to them and they taste like an orange cream cicle. Only way I could drink them. 

Most Active