Surgery Date is scheduled....I'M SCARED

nicola3301
on 4/17/15 8:43 pm

Hello everyone!  I have been dreaming of having weight loss surgery for 10 years plus and now that it's scheduled for next monday the 27th, I'm so frightened! I have never had any type of surgery and I'm super scared of complications or dying. I know that I can live the way I am and at least my son will have his mom. Is this normal for me to be this AFRAID now that the day is approaching?

Doingrightin2015
on 4/17/15 10:10 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

Yes, it is normal to be nervous about surgery.. Since you have never had any surgery it makes perfect sense. I was so excited to have my surgery and never scared. I have had 3 previous surgery's before this one, so I was not afraid at all. You will not fine. Just know you will have some pain, but they will give you pain meds to help with that. Get up and move as much and as soon as possible that will help. Sip sip sip!!! Before you know the surgery will all be a thing of the past and you will be over on the losers bench!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

songer48
on 4/18/15 5:28 am

First, your doctor will not perform surgery if he thinks there is a risk.  All surgery involves risk, but, of the thousands who have been treated by the practice I went to, not a single person has died.  When you report to the hospital you will change into a hospital gown.  A technician will put your IV's in.  They usually inject you with something to numb you up so this isn't a big deal.  Before they wheel you into surgery they will start you on Versed.  That will begin to put you in la la land and it will make you forget everything.  Honestly, the next thing you will know is that your surgery is over and someone will be asking if you are in pain.  My response to that questions was "I THINK so," because, I'd just had surgery and wasn't I supposed to be in pain?  They hooked me up to morphine within minutes of waking up and I got to push a little button any time I needed some pain relief.  I didn't go through the first "bag" they gave me.  The nurses told me people usually need 2 thingies of morphine, so I did well with pain.  They will get you up and moving shortly after they take you out of recovery and to your room.  Here's a tip. Ask for another hospital gown to wear as a "bathrobe" so that your strolls down the hospital corridor don't reveal too many of your assets.

They key is to drink water, one sip at a time.  I couldn't take (or tolerate) the liquid protein drinks they gave me so I switched to soft foods about a week after I had my sleeve done.  Yogurt, mashed potatoes, pudding...You'll be shaky because you will be taking in far fewer calories, so mind your energy levels and be prepared to eat or drink what you need so the shakies don't get the best of you.

You're going to love yourself for a whole year as you drop weight.  It was the best thing I did for myself, and now that I've also done the plastics, I thinking this will be the second best thing I've done.

Songer
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/17/15 10:15 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I think most people get a little scared right b4 surgery & it's totally natural. However if you're like majorly scared, then call your dr, maybe they can give you a little more confidence, or whatever to put you more at ease. Just remember that you'll have a whole staff of professionals there to help you thru the procedure & take care of you afterwards. Not to mention whatever support you'll have from friends & family.

I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming surgery, take a breath, breathe slowly out the mouth, do a meditation type thing. Just remember why you're doing this & pray to a higher power if you believe in such things. I know I do. Congrats on getting the surgery, will save you a spot on the losers bench!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Mary Gee
on 4/18/15 3:43 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Many people get scared and have panic attacks.  The surgery itself didn't scare me.  I look at it this way - the surgeon and his team do everything to be sure you have a safe and successful surgery.  Think of all the preparation you go through for this.  It's not like emergency surgery - your body is prepared for this.

As someone suggested, maybe your doctor can give you something to help.

Good Luck - we've got room for you on the Losers' Bench!!  

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

caliannie
on 4/18/15 8:13 am - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I am only 4 days post-op and I was surprised how calm I was the morning of my surgery. I felt a little anxious but not because of the surgery but because of the changes I have committed to after surgery. I attribute my relative calmness to my doctor and the people on OH. I found a lot of information here and everyone answered my questions, reassured me and are very supportive. They share their experiences which helped me going into surgery and the last couple of days after surgery. I checked into the hospital at 7:30am, surgery was scheduled at 9:30 but didn't start until 10ish, in recovery about 1:00 and in my room about 3ish. Had to have my gallbladder removed which added to the time in surgery but not by much. I took my walk, the first of many, about 5pm. The most painful thing for me was the gas that they pump into your belly. It overshadowed any other pain. By the time I left the hospital my belly felt sore like I did too many sit ups but I haven't needed pain meds since I left the hospital partly because I'm afraid it will slow things down getting rid of the gas (I know TMI). Talk to your doctor, he is the best person to reassure you about his plan for you. Research topics on OH and post questions. The more informed you are the less anxious you'll feel.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

freeradical
on 4/19/15 2:26 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/01/15

My surgery is that week also May 1 and I'm starting to get really nervous also. 

LeapSecond
on 4/19/15 9:35 pm - AR

Totally normal.  What I did was look at before and after pics on OH and other sites.  Those after pictures will be you.  Never having had surgery is a Benefit. No scaring from past surgeries lowers your possible complications.  You will do fine. Tell your nurse you are really nervous on the day of surgery and she might be able to give you something. I have never heard "I wish I hadn't done this". I always hear "I wish I had done this sooner ". Hope this helps. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

nicola3301
on 4/20/15 4:30 pm

Thank you to everyone who has kindly offered words of wisdom!

MommaGbear
on 4/21/15 2:04 am
VSG on 04/29/15 with

Hang in there! My surgery is scheduled for the 29th, and I've also been really nervous. I've had surgeries before, so I'm not scared about the surgery, exactly, but about the major lifestyle change I'm undertaking. It feels overwhelming, and yet, it's also exciting.

Your surgeon will make sure to do everything he/she can to keep you safe during your surgery, and your son will appreciate how brave his mom is for stepping up and taking care of herself by doing everything she can to be healthy and be there for him for a long time. It's very normal to be nervous, particularly since you've never had surgery and don't know what to expect. You may want to ask your doc about having a little bit of anti-anxiety med to take the night before/morning of to help keep your nerves from overwhelming you.

Most Active