Been lapband years ago. Need help with eating disinfo I am getting from Dr. who was...

suz11eq
on 5/2/15 12:29 am - Canada

I was banded in 2006, had many problems. Got defilled and gave up. Trying again and trying to do it right and its not working workin to this only dr. I have no choice to go back to. I can't get info from this lapband clinic in Toronto that is hiding info and can't get any help from them at all. This Surgeon Told a new way to eat with lapband I don't agree and bothers my stomach more.

Saying eat mostly meat diet .lol.. If you have room for vegs after ok.. Also said I didn't need to take vitamins when I been down this road before and became low in them before. I know he does colon area too.. LOL.. Well I am not going to be his patient screwing up my bowels.

I need professional advice and some may know what Dr. in Ontario Canada I am talking about. 

Kate -True Brit
on 5/2/15 2:14 am - UK

I also was banded in 2006 and as far as I know eating guidelines have not changed.

Dense protein to start every meal, followed by small quantity of veggies, followed by small quantity of carbs if there is room left. Eat the number of meals which works for you. Aim for between 1000 and 1200 calories a day.

The only thing which has changed is the advice about drinking with food. We used to be taught (up to about 2009 to 2011, depending on how the doctor kept up to date) that food remained above the band for some time and drinking would wash food through too fast.  It is now accepted that well-chewed food passes through the band in around a minute so as long as we allow it to pass, we can drink with food. 

And I have been taught we need one multi-vit a day. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

suz11eq
on 5/5/15 5:50 am - Canada

Hi, Kate, LOL.. Yeah he told me I didn't even need vitamins. I cannot handle eating meat all the time. Anyway I had to pay this time for a fill and don't have to anymore.

This Surgeon was reprimended for neglect on some patients. I don't even know if he is doing lapbands anymore. I still need another fill. I only can fill so far cause I end up with joking, coughing and found out my ear aches stopped when i gave up and took more out.

I had lost a lot of weight but i think it was from weight training. Going back to college and hope my mind will be busier and will help me more. I been so bored and fed up . I was self employed until my Dad died. Hoping a new career will get me motivated again.

How full is your band and do you have the Swiss one? I can't remember which one I have. I hope I can get it working without the discomfort years ago.  I can eat more anyway right now. I on't always want meat 3 times a day. Sometimes i can feel full on grapes, yogurt, granola mix and throw nuts in. Thanks for replying..

Susan

Kate -True Brit
on 5/5/15 7:33 am - UK

No. I gave the 4cc Lapband and think I have around 1.8 to 2 cc in it - my last fill was so long ago that I forget! 

suz11eq
on 5/5/15 7:50 am - Canada

Your lap band must be different then mine maybe. I am up to 5 from 4.. I was up to 8 and it was joking , coughing, vomitting, and had ear aches and back aches. I didn't do it right mostly. But definitely can't ever go to 8 and not sure a 7cc again. It does work sometimes right now. Maybe when I come busier will be better for me. Your cc's would be very low to me. I heard they are different bands.

OH, Were you told it last a life time. I heard different and the DR. told me its a life time. has titatium. I heard they don't last. So not sure of truth and worry about it not. Supposedly systems you have if it doesn't.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/5/15 4:26 pm - UK

Yes, mine is the 4cc band. So 4cc is the max fill!

the longevity of the band is a controversial issue.  The manufacturers, Allergan, have told me in a written reply that they do not state a specific lifespan.  The band itself is made of silicon (not titanium which is an extremely hard metal, the band is soft and flexible) and so can a lifetime, but, of course, bodies react in different ways and so our bodies may eventually react by, for example, a build up of scar tissue. No implant can be guaranteed for ever, whether it is a crown on a tooth or a pacemaker. All we can do is minimise risk, we can't avoid it entirely.

suz11eq
on 5/7/15 5:03 pm - Canada

I was told mine is titatium so yours must be different then mine. I was told it last forever. But coming from this now controversy Surgeon that was reprimanded for neglect i don't believe some stuff he told me and didn't want to tell me about his past problem. Kind of made it the others fault. Well he was called in to the General Surgeon medical board.lol

Kate -True Brit
on 5/7/15 5:08 pm - UK

There may be titanium in it but as titanium is a rigid, extremely hard metal, the band cannot be made from it. It would not go round the stomach and could not be tightened by filling. Bands themselves are made of silicone. Fastenings may be metal. 

suz11eq
on 5/8/15 9:39 am - Canada

Hi, Kate, I know the band wouldn't be all titatium.. I am trying to find my booklet where it shows it again and what type it is. You're probably right about the band being silicone.

crystal M.
on 5/2/15 8:08 am - Joliet, IL

I completely agree with Kate.  You should always focus on dense lean proteins and then veggies and then carbs.  That said my dinners are mostly a lean protein like a breast of chicken and a salad.  That will fill me up. 

Most Active