Fashion style questions for the ladies

Modest_Phoenix
on 5/2/15 12:05 am

Hello,

I'm curious about how your fashion style has changed since losing weight.  There are a lot of posts here about shopping at thrift stores during the losing phase, but I haven't seen any regarding style. 

1.  Has your personal fashion style changed since losing weight?

2.  How has it changed?  I don't mean more choices in smaller sizes, I mean have you completely changed your fashion look? 

I tend to wear what I consider a uniform - same style in a variety of colors (I love color).  Regular jeans or tailored jeans that look like slacks and a long sleeve or 3/4 length sleeve crew neck t-shirts  for casual/weekend wear.  For work it's basic dark slacks with the same t-shirts and lots of funky accessories with flats.  I'm beginning to notice completely different styles of business wear now that I have decided to have surgery.  I'm trending toward a much more polished, professional look with knee length pencil skirts and jackets with flats.  Casual wear of jeans and t-shirts still appeal to me. I tend to dress very modestly and still like that sort of style. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

The Salty Hag
on 5/2/15 2:12 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I dress basically the same, but I DO wear jeans and 3/4 length sleeved blouses year-round now because I no longer get over-heated easily. I'm not in the workforce, so I'm almost always a very casual dresser. I think pencil skirts are nice, but I can't pull them off. I've still got cankles. Oh well. Maxi dresses are my best friend! 

I am more modest now, if anything. I used to make a point to wear the cutest/sexy-ish tank tops I could for summer and pair them with crops or long flowing skirts. I didn't give a damn what people thought and it was too hot for me to wear anything else. I figured, people will notice me no matter what simply because of my size, so why not dress to the nines? Now that my boobs are deflated and my bat wings are even more swingy, I tend to cover up more. My "empty" bat wings bug me more now than my "filled" bat wings ever did. They're so much more flappy!! LOL! 

My favorite summer outfit is a maxi dress with a little sweater/shrug over it. I'd have never thought of wearing anything over my dress pre surgery because I'd have been wayyy too warm. Now, I actually need the extra layer to stay warm! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Maria27
on 5/2/15 3:18 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I have not lost enough weight to start buying new clothes yet, but I sure plan on completely changing everything about my fashion style. What I wear has always been largely dictated by what is available in my size, and I've hated almost all of it! Plus I am looking forward to wearing high heals more often because I expect that less weight will allow me to wear them longer before my feet start hurting. Not sure why there is some unwritten fashion rule about plus size women not caring about how they look, loving animal prints, or not having professional jobs, but what I would prefer to wear never comes in my size. I couldn't even find a professional suit that fit me until I moved to Chicago, and even here there is usually only one or two choices. For some reason there are plenty of places that make plus size men's suits, but not women's. I guess large women need not apply to professional jobs since they will likely be discriminated against anyway.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Ready2goNOW
on 5/2/15 7:05 am

Hi!

I am pre-op...still over 300, but losing as we speak.

I have had to wear the same frickin' 'uniform' for years now...stretch pants in grey, blue, brown or black w/an oversized top. During the past 2 summers I WAS able to find a few maxi dresses since they came back in style. Being 5'9" and a 4x made it EXTREMELY difficult to find anything fashionable to wear.  2x or below was more workable, but seems once you pass 3x the choices are slimmer...lol...no pun intended!

So I am dying to just be able to wear a pair of REAL jeans with a zipper & snap or button. I cannot wait! That will be one of my 1st measures of WLS success. WEARING JEANS!!

I am just too easy to please.

And after that...real colors! My ass is so big it looks like a shelf or an extra person following me. No way would I draw anymore attention to THAT by wearing pink or yellow or orange...lol!

Kathy

jenorama
on 5/2/15 7:31 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I used to be all jeans, tshirts and sneakers, but now I wear a lot of button down shirts, sandals and boots. Winter was a sweater extravaganza. I like to take more care in what I wear now rather than what will just cover me up! :D

Jen

crystal M.
on 5/2/15 7:39 am - Joliet, IL

Yes my style has changed.  When I was 185 lbs heavier I wore bigger clothes that drapped over me.  I was trying to hide my fat and rolls.  I wore darker colors like black and dark gray and brown. 

NOW...I wear more form fitting clothes that actually fit me.  I wear jeans and tops that cling to my figure.  I wear colors that are bright.  I take the time to add things like earrings.  I also grew my hair out and started getting it professionally colored ( I did myself before) and it looks so much nicer. 

In general I look more put together.  I care more about my appearance. 

Gwen M.
on 5/2/15 8:46 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I also find that I prefer form fitting clothing!  Probably because I love my form :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 5/2/15 8:45 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My stats are below in my signature. 

I used to be a t-shirts and jeans person. All the time. After losing around 60 lb I got pissed off trying to find jeans that fit so, at the recommendation of my therapist, I switched to one size fits all skirts. Now my "uniform" is pretty much a boho skirt and t-shirt. 

But fashion is an alien pursuit to me. So I signed up for Stitch Fix in an effort to get outside of my comfort zone and learn how to dress my new body. I keep a piece or two (of five) a month and it has been awesome. I'm still losing so don't want to spend that much money on clothes, but I've also found that nice, well fitting clothing helps me feel better and more in love with this body. So the clothes have helped with my mental health challenges. 

It's been fun :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Loser2542
on 5/2/15 11:12 pm

Not a style expert here. However, I used to wear baggy everything. Now I purchase much tighter clothes in hopes that they will last longer. I hadn't worn jeans in decades but now find I wear them every weekend. I have reverted back to my black stretchy pants for work, since the fitted ones I bought didn't last very long before they were too big. I recently had a wedding to go to and went shopping. I left the store with 2 dresses, not the one I went in for. Dresses were another thing I hadn't worn in years.

I am having problems with warmer weather tops, and the short sleeves in most stores. Most are just too short for my still very large arms. If anyone has good recommendations for where to find larger short sleeve shirts, I would welcome them.

HW: 388 SW: 240 CW: 172      Surgery Date 11/07/2014     VSG with Dr. Chengelis

healthycarolina
on 5/3/15 12:21 am
RNY on 11/18/13

I think my biggest change has been shoes.  You can now wear those cute shoes that you would have never worn 100 pounds ago.  You are much lighter on your feet.

Wanda

Most Active