Disaster. Worst decision of my life...

Kittycatty
on 5/26/15 12:37 am

I am 2 weeks post op and just discharged from hospital yesterday. I am having a terrible time and just hope things turn around. I expected a two to three day post op hospital stay but it turns in to two weeks. I contracted c diff while in the hospital and the large left side incision also became infected. Grossly infected. I can't believe this has happened and at this point I would give anything to have my fat but relatively healthy body back.  I spent 3 years making this decision and was so optimistic for a positive result. I am current taking two different antibiotics for the c diff. My lower gut and colon swelled so much I thought I was 9 months pregnant with twins. I have yet have yet to have a normal bowel movement. I am in constant pain on my left side and can't sleep on that side because it feels like my guts are being ripped and torn when I lay on that side.  I have a nurse doing daily dressing changes on my left big incision and it is draining a gross pus fluid. I'm scared I've made the worst decision of my life. I feel like I have difficulty swallowing now and am nauseated all the time .I'm 53. Weighed 240 preop and am diabetic. I haven't lost any weight because I'm filled with fluids from its. At this point I would do anything to turn the clock back. I had planned 2-4 weeks off work but I'm to it we be a couple of months before I can return. Please I hope someone can share a similar story with me that has a positive outcome. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/26/15 5:41 am

Hugs... Hopefully it is only a short set back.  Some of us had worse than others. 

Wishing you best and fast recovery... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ready2goNOW
on 5/26/15 5:42 am

WOW! sorry to hear you are going thru all that! how frustrating & depressing!

I am pre-op, but in my 50's so I can relate to making this huge decision when no longer in your prime of life hoping for a healthier lifestyle...then this happens.

I have no personal experience w/this, but my husband contracted MRSA during surgery a few years ago. He, too, had incredible pain in the ankle area where the surgery was & was diagnosed w/the C diff. He did recover, though, but had to go thru having a daily antibiotic treatment done at home for about 30 days. He did feel ill & feverish during that time, but got totally back to normal.

they actually isolated him in his hospital room b/c of the MRSA so I think what he had may have been more serious, but I cannot remember the particulars now.

I hope you recovery more quickly...he had a host of other medical problems that probably complicated his case, but bottom line is he recovered completely and you will, too. don't regret the surgery...in the long run it will be worth it...you're just off to a bumpy start!

Best of luck!

Kathy

AnnaBradley
on 5/26/15 5:44 am
VSG on 05/04/15

So sorry to hear that you're suffering.  You're in my prayers. 

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Dreamy74
on 5/26/15 7:51 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Oh Kittycatty I am so sorry to hear you are suffering.  I had a relative contract C Diff in hospital and she had a fecal transplant and it sorted it out.  Could you ask your doctors about this? 

Also, I had a breast reduction in 1996 and had one of my main incisions become infected and it sounds like yours is - pus oozing out.  You poor thing.  You are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that you feel better very soon.

xoxoxo

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Kittycatty
on 5/26/15 7:57 am

Thanks everyone for the support. I am hoping someone else can share a similar story as I feel absolutely despondent. 

Weightloss15
on 5/26/15 8:46 am

Hope you feel better soon! 

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/15 8:42 am

I am sorry you are having such a difficult time. The water weight can be overwhelming since you haven't eaten anything. I hope your recovery improves which I am sure it will. 

Feel better. 

JB1114
on 5/26/15 9:01 am - Grain Valley, MO

I understand why you feel like you do.  The first few days I thought being fat wasn't so bad, but after that I was fine and have had no problems.  Hope you are able to feel like that soon. 

My RNY is the best thing I could have done for myself.  It's strange how so many people glide thru their surgery and others have such difficult recoveries.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Maria27
on 5/26/15 9:05 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am sorry this is happening to you. I have a friend who had many complications after her RNY resulting in several additional hospital stays. She too thought she had made a mistake at the time. But two years later, she has lost all of her excess weight and is very happy with her decision to have surgery despite the complications. You are still very early out from surgery, so hang in there. Just take it one day at a time.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Most Active