Finishing up day 2 of 5DPT

Mrsdean4
on 5/27/15 5:06 am - VA

Wow, all liquids wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I started around lunchtime on Monday, so I won't have my yummy egg until lunchtime today.  I'm considering continuing with liquids today.  Has anyone gone longer than 2 days of liquids for the PT?  

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 5/27/15 5:25 am
VSG on 12/06/12

I would not even do one day. It is a fad diet with no scientific basis. It was invented by a patient not a doctor. Just go back to eating dense protein and you will get what you are looking for.

Kate -True Brit
on 5/27/15 12:27 am, edited 5/27/15 12:28 am - UK

What in earth for? Is it to get you mentally on track? WLS was not designed for liquid diets.  I never went the route of self-punishment for a stall but it seems to work for some!  I always found just getting back to "proper" eating did it for me,  Hope it does whatever you want it to do. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Gwen M.
on 5/27/15 12:03 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I swore to myself that I would never waste another minute of my life with fad diets once I had WLS.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Mrsdean4
on 5/27/15 12:07 pm - VA

Goodness!  I really appreciate everyone *****ad my post and decided to answer the question I asked, in the spirit of support.  

rocky513
on 5/27/15 1:09 pm - WI

They ARE being supportive.  The 5 day pouch test is nothing more than a fad diet for WLS patients.  There is really no way to "re-shrink" your pouch.  Your pouch is supposed to grow, over time, to about the size of a soda can.  If you are trying to de-carb you can do that without a fad diet to follow.

What you CAN do is get back to the basics.  Get all starchy carbs ( bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, crackers, etc.) out of your house.  Eat dense protein and, if there is room, non-starchy veggies ( no corn or peas).  Limit your fruit consumption to one serving per day ( keep in mind a serving is 1/2 apple or 1/2 banana, 3-4 strawberries).  Get at least 60 grams of protein and 64 ounces of fluids daily.  Don't drink with your meals or for 30 minutes after you eat.  Eat a very small meal about every 3-4 hours so you don't get hungry.  Hunger is not an emergency. Nothing bad will happen to you if you ignore hunger pangs for a few hours until you are allowed to eat again.  

If you do not change the relationship you have with food, you will not lose weight.... period.  No fad diet will help you.  You must incorporate the WLS rules as your "new normal" and give up your old habits... forever.  You still have a functioning tool and, if you use it the way it was designed to be used, you will lose your re-gain.  You can do this!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Mrsdean4
on 5/27/15 1:46 pm - VA

That is pretty much what the 5DPT tells you to do.  =)  I did liquids for personal reasons that have to do with my own health needs.  I was just looking for a little support, not brow-beating.  

I know we all are on a very personal journey or we wouldn't be on this website.  I just really think it's stinks that so many were so quick to criticize.  The topic was clearly listed in the title, you guys could have scrolled right on by.  What y'all chose to do, instead, was to criticize.  What if this was a big help for me?  Why on earth would you want to "yuck on someone else's yum" like that?  Didn't your mamas teach you that is incredibly rude?   Only one person asked a question about why I was doing the PT, the rest of you assumed I was an idiot or newbie and tried to mock me.

Maybe in the future, if you disagree with a post, don't jump on the person, just move along.  You have NO idea how your criticism will be accepted.  If the post ASKS FOR YOUR OPINION, that's one thing.  This one did not.  

Thanks again for all of the support and understanding from an AWESOME group of human beings.

Amy R.
on 5/27/15 1:51 pm

Sometimes "support" doesn't equal pats on the back for questionable behavior.  I understand what you're trying to do - I've done it myself postop - but it never yielded any long term solutions.

For you especially though the 5DPT makes no sense.  You don't have a pouch, unless the surgery info on your profile is old and/or incorrect.  You have a fully functioning (though small) stomach if you've had a VSG.   

The RnY and VSG are two completely different surgeries.

Mrsdean4
on 5/27/15 2:20 pm - VA

I am aware of that. I'm an RN and I do understand the basics.  =)   For some (me included) it is nice to have a very strict plan to get my rear back in gear.  My surgeon and nutritionalist did not give me much of a plan.  So, I wanted to get myself away from all the carbs.  No joke, my first "meal" after the fluid stage in the hospital was pureed LASAGNA.  Tell me, how does that fit with what most people are counseled to do?  I am an all or nothing type person, so I wanted to follow the guidelines of the 5DPT not to "shrink" anything, but to stop the carbs cold turkey. 

How is that questionable?  Luckily I don't base my medical or nutritional decisions on posts made by strangers on an obesity forum.  I simply wanted to know if anyone had done more than 2 days on liquids and how they handled it.  I wasn't looking for a pat on the back.  I sincerely hope none of the self-righteous ever get in a bad place with their recovery, it would have to be a really hard fall from so high up.  ;-)

Oxford Comma Hag
on 5/27/15 5:21 pm

Luckily I don't base my medical or nutritional decisions on posts made by strangers on an obesity forum    Nor should you, but you did ask about the 5 day pouch test, and people responded. No one was hateful.  

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active