Heartburn at night only?

tink929
on 6/22/15 6:09 pm

i am about 6weeks post op and just started to get heartburn at night, only at night as soon as I lay down. I take Pepcid during the day, but I am wondering if I should start taking it at night instead, or take something else at night? I have not experienced heartburn at all before surgery, or after until now.

Sleeved on 5/7/2015 

Laura in Texas
on 6/22/15 6:21 pm

You can get a wedge pillow or raise the top of your bed with risers like THIS.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Pianolover
on 6/22/15 9:28 pm

I use two wedge pillows to prop my head up and two more pillows on top of that (one to support head and one supporting my back). OTC stuff might not be strong enough for you. I now take prescription strength Zegerid (ompeprazole and sodium bicarb). Consult with your surgeon's office if you can, they can recommend something that will work for you individually.

HW: 291 --- SW (3/10/15): 264 --- CW (12/31/15) 153

Doingrightin2015
on 6/23/15 1:57 am
RNY on 03/10/15

how soon after eating is it before you go to bed? I was told not to eat 3 hours before going to bed. If you are eating soon before you go to bed you might try to back that up some.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Tracy D.
on 6/23/15 8:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You'll want to pay attention to what you're eating at night time.  I found that eating a couple sugar free popsicles was a guarantee of bedtime acid for me (weird, huh?).  Also, make sure all eating and drinking are completed at least 2 hours before bed time.  Use a wedge pillow or raise the head of your bed.  

I also pop a couple Tums before bed if I think something is coming on.  You could also take your Pepcid before bed and see if that works.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

crystal M.
on 6/23/15 8:28 am - Joliet, IL

Just like the others said I can't eat or drink before bed.  Not even medicine.  I sleep with my head higher than the rest of my body.  I have put my mattress at a slight angle by putting a wedge under the mattress.  That way my whole upper body is at a slight tilt. 

This also helps with my allergies too.  Keeps my sinuses draining at night (for those that have that problem).  When I sleep to flat my nose gets soooo stuffy. 

MaronitaMay
on 6/23/15 1:18 pm

I agree with doingrightin2015!  Make sure you stop eating a minimum of three hours before going to bed.  Constipation can also cause heartburn.  Are you constipated?  Speak to your doctor they can provide a prescription for this!  Of course, you should speak to your doctor anyways (especially if you are already limiting how much time lapses before you eat) as you would not want to take over-the-counter medication longterm without your doctors knowledge.

tink929
on 6/23/15 4:06 pm

Thanks so much for the help. I don't really eat too late, but sometimes I do have tea before bed. I will stop the tea, and try taking my Pepcid at night instead of during the day.

Sleeved on 5/7/2015 

Most Active