Biotin

Donna1964
on 6/28/15 9:37 am - Canada

What are your thoughts on whether or not Biotin is worth it?

crystal M.
on 6/28/15 1:04 pm - Joliet, IL

I don't know I took Biotin for a couple of years and I have stopped for the last 6 months.  I have had a problem with thinning hair for the last couple of years and was hoping this would help.  I have not seen much difference on or off Biotin.  

I would say try it for your self.  It's not much money it may work for you.  I have had people say it works for them.  It's worth trying.

Nic M
on 6/28/15 4:23 pm

My hair grows super-fast when I take about 6000 mcg of Biotin daily. I have really thick hair naturally, so I'm not sure if it does anything in that regard. But the length definitely increases very quickly. It also makes my leg hair grow fast, though, too. And I notice that I get more chin hairs, so that's the trade off! It also makes my nails grow rapidly and they do seem stronger. 

You can get very cheap Biotin at Walmart or Target. It's not any different from the expensive stuff, so I would just opt for the el cheapo to see if it works well for you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/29/15 8:03 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're worried about losing hair after surgery, Biotin will neither prevent it nor slow it down.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

JB1114
on 6/29/15 9:55 am - Grain Valley, MO

I still take Biotin 7 years after surgery.  My hair wasn't very thick before WLS so it got really think after.  I wore a wig for a few months.  I quit taking Biotin for awhile but my hair seemed to be thinning again.  The only drawback is it doesn't know to only grow hair on my head.  I keep my little hair remove gadget handy to use on my chin....LOL

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

Tracy D.
on 6/29/15 11:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Biotin will help your hair and nails grow faster and may improve the hair strength.  I know for a fact it has helped my hair and nail strength.  However, it does nothing - nada - to keep your hair from falling out post-op.  And it doesn't help you grow new, additional hair.  

I take it because it's fairly cheap and believe it contributes to overall healthier hair, skin and nails.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psren13
on 6/29/15 12:31 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I already had thin hair before my surgery so I bought some biotin.  (I also am at the age where losing hair on legs, etc and it moving to my *****  I read one post that made me stop and think, biotin doesn't just target hair on your head.  Do I want more hair on my face?  So, I still have well over 3/4 of a bottle sitting on my dresser.,

Valerie G.
on 6/30/15 1:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If you're thinking it will prevent hair loss in the first 3-6 months, then it's not worth it, for the problem has nothing to do with nutrition (google Telogen Effluvium to learn more).  It's usually dispensed in a multi anyway.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active