Eating/drinking while biking

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/15 5:53 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

So I came across a new problem this morning that I need some advice on. I got up super early before it got hot out and went for a 2.5 hour bike ride. About 90 minutes in, I stopped for a quick break and ate half the Quest bar I'd brought with me. Then I realized that meant I couldn't drink for half an hour. I survived, but was REALLY thirsty after 30 mins of biking with no hydration. What do I do? Eating before I leave wouldn't help unless I get up even earlier so I can wait half an hour after breakfast before I leave, and waiting until I get back would make me really hungry and miserable since my rides are getting close to 3 hours. I thought about maybe taking a protein shake with me instead, but it would get warm and would take much longer to get down than a 5-minute break would allow...anyone have any ideas?

GooseGirl
on 6/27/15 8:40 pm
VSG on 10/30/14 with

I walk, not bike, but when I'm doing my long walks I don't adhere to the 30 minute rule. I asked my dietitian and she agreed that this was fine for this particular instance. I am curious what other people have experienced. 

kathkeb
on 6/27/15 11:40 pm

I have no restirction on drinking before eating ---- so, I sip, sip, sip water during the ride -- and then when I stop for a break, I have at least 4-6 oufnces of water before I eat the 1/2 Luna bar or banana I have for fuel ---- I don't drink again for several minutes to let the food work its wy through my band ----- then, I start again with the sip, sip, sip stuff.

I have found it easier to use a hydratiion pack than a bottle of water ---- with my pack, my water stays cold, my tube/mouthpiece have a magnet that keep it in place, very easy to keep the tube in my mouth and grab sips for several minutes for uninterrupted cycling --- pretty close to hands-free sipping.

Kath

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/28/15 6:30 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I've started biking as well. Drink b4 eating the bar. I don't wait 30 minutes after I drink to eat something, only after eating do I wait the 30 minutes.

Getting a hydration pack that you wear on your back might be the way to go, especially on such a long ride. You can sip while you ride, besides if you wait till you're thirsty to drink you might already be dehydrated.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/28/15 6:52 am

Protein shake was my choice. Nut butters (squeeze packages) for a quick fix energy. Maybe 5-10 min wait after

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Qajohn
on 6/28/15 7:29 am - Woodbury, MN
RNY on 01/16/14

On a long workout, you need water more than you need food. I would skip the protein bar. If you feel like you need some sort of nutrition, then bring a protein shake. 

I know its blasphemy here but........I would have drank the water after the 1/2 quest bar. IMHO its better to stay hydrated on a long bike ride than to worry about flushing out your pouch once. 

When I work out early, I get up early to eat 45 min before the workout so I can drink at will. I do take a protein shake with me though. I keep it cold by putting the shake in the freezer until its slushy. Then its still realtively cool after 1 - 1 1/2 hour later. If you can't get up that early, then I would drink the protein shake before the workout and just dirnk water during your bike ride.

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/15 11:13 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks guys! I do use a Camelbak, and I'm not concerned about eating after drinking so much as drinking after eating. But on longer rides where I can't wait to eat, I might "cheat" a little with the 30-min rule, especially if it's just half a Quest bar.

Most Active