I <3 data! A year's worth of MFP weight and measurement tracking.

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/15 6:16 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I looked back through my last year of reports on MyFitnessPal today and made a few realizations. First of all, I love data! I still see myself at my highest weight in the mirror every morning, but graphs and numbers are much more objective to me. Secondly, my weight graph and measurement graphs have different curves -- you really can lose inches even during periods where you're not losing much weight.

Unfortunately MFP only lets you view graphs up to one year of data, so in a couple months I won't be able to see all my progress on one graph anymore. But regardless, track your measurements, even if it's only every few weeks, for those times when you feel like you've made less than stellar progress. The data doesn't lie, and graphs are a great way to see the big picture and not get too paranoid about if you "lost enough" last week -- we made a life-long, life-altering decision when we had WLS. We're in this for the long game.

Ready2goNOW
on 7/3/15 6:39 pm

You know I track my weight loss, but kinda gave up on measurements b/c it seems I am losing lbs. faster than inches.

But looking at your graph I think I am going to start...I am still pre-op so I should get to see future changes in black & white!

Thanks for the snapshot!

Kathy

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/15 7:33 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

It didn't seem like I got as much out of measurements until I got a few months' worth. Plus you don't need to do measurements nearly as often as you weigh in to still see a nice slope.  :)

The Salty Hag
on 7/4/15 2:46 am, edited 7/4/15 2:47 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Keep up with the measurements!! I was just completely astounded at the inches I lost. Hips went from 63" ( I was literally wider than I am tall. ) to 39". Chest went from 46 to 32, bust was 52 to 39,  and my waist went from 49 to 30. Oh and my thighs are 21" around...which was what my calves were pre-surgery. Absolute, wonderful...craziness!!! 

You will look back and your mind will be blown. 

Edited for accuracy...had to re-check my numbers!

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Nich_R
on 7/4/15 8:39 am

That is awesome to see! Congratulations!

Nichole | Portland, OR | VSG 07.08.15 | HW 371.1 | SW 348.2 | CW 199.6 | GW 150

psren13
on 7/4/15 4:26 pm - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

You could always print out your graphs and keep a little scrapbook with the graphs and maybe a few pictures to look back on.  Then they won't be "lost" to you,  Magnificent graphs they are,  I keep track of my weight and carbs, proteins, etc with the graphs and print those out for my doctor visits.  He is pleased to see them.  I did take measurements after about a month post op.  Guess maybe  measurement graph would be ok too.  Thanks for the idea.  Great job.. Pam

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 6:38 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, that's a great idea!

Most Active