Donating medications?

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/15 5:07 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to donate unneeded medications? My husband and I were both on the injectable diabetes drug Bydureon before surgery, and we're both off of it now, but we have almost a year's worth of it in our fridge now just taking up space (all in unopened individual packages). I'd hate to throw it away because it's pretty expensive (it's the once-a-week long-acting form of Byetta), but I've never heard of medication donation centers or anything like that. I plan to call my endocrinologist's office tomorrow just to see, but in the meantime, I figured I'd ask if anyone here has ever heard of anything like that.

White Dove
on 7/5/15 5:18 pm - Warren, OH

You cannot donate medications.  Check with your pharmacy for disposal instructions.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AmyDee123
on 7/5/15 5:46 pm - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Actually certain medications can be donated.  But the best way to do it is to contact the pharmacy and find out if they donate or can send it to donation groups.  The donated medication is usually sent overseas to poorer countries.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

alouisa63
on 7/5/15 7:40 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

You can donate medicine!  Each state has their own regulations but here's a website to check out.  It suggests checking locally first (and tells you how) then it suggests the American Red Cross and finally, this:   Insulin for Life is the best place to consider for a tax-exempt use of unused diabetes supplies. Donations include:  insulin, syringes, test strips and other diabetes supplies to be given to diabetes organizations throughout the world.

Good luck!

LookingForOnederlan
d

on 7/6/15 4:31 am - Shelbyville, TN

This was so nice for you to think of! I live in Tennessee, and we have medication donation centers; it is a fabulous way to donate to lower-income and needy folks. My father died of cancer 5 years ago, and my mom donated all of his medicines (even narcotics) to a medicine donation clinic run by the local hospital. Then a Dr. can redistribute as needed.

Sleeved on 6/19/2014  Hw 277  Sw 254   Cw  142  Gw 135

M1 -20  M2 -10  M3 -11  M4 -11  M5 -11  M6 -8  M7 -8  M8 -8  M9 -1  M10 -8  M11 -4  M12 -2  M13-18-5

ONEderland 10/15/2014

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/15 12:23 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks guys, I got an official answer! My endocrinologist's office will take the Bydureon pens, which are about 3/4 of what we had just sitting in our fridge, to give out to patients as samples. I'm glad they won't go to waste!

Most Active